Chapter 10

"Ever had a McDonalds?"

"A what?"

"McDonalds!"

"..." Your eyes beamed blankly up at him, a fog of confusion clouding them, you had no idea what he was on about.

"It's what commoners like to eat. McDonalds is fast food restaurant" Kaoru explained with a smirk.

"Fast food?" You quoted him, reciting the words to register them in your mind.

"Yeah, let's eat there" Kaoru suggested, lugging his phone out of his pocket before searching up the closest restaurant.

...

It took you a little while to find the place, it was in town so it wasn't very close to the school grounds at all. You and Kaoru stood in front of the entrance, peering through the finger-print-covered glass doors in astonishment, checking if the coast was clear.

There were glossy tables and chairs spread around the restaurant, some were occupied by families and others were abandoned with a tower of scraps piled on top of it. The walls were painted with eccentric bright colours: oranges, greens and blues were splattered across them like a children's play-area.

The customers themselves were being served by efficient workers with a not-so-convincing smile plastered on their face. They hustled around their workspace quickly, yet carelessly, flinging food and drink into grease-proof paper bags. Then, within a blink of an eye, the customer received their meal and headed for a free table. It was a completely different atmosphere to your average high class restaurant to say the least.

You studied all this as though you were to be tested on this at the counter, and for some reason you were very intrigued by it. A simple thing like a fast-food restaurant had you put in such an admirable mode it wouldn't be surprising if you started writing fan fictions about them.

"After you" Kaoru spoke politely whilst opening the door wide. You snapped out of your amazement and quickly trotted inside, fiddling with your thumbs feeling a little confronted by the place.

Kaoru noticed this and gave you a reassuring nudge on the shoulder as he headed up to the counter with you, not waiting long before some one was ready to take his order.

"Hello! May I take your order please?" A bubbly young girl sung merrily, with a barbie-like grin, neatly tied up red hair and glowing green eyes.

"I'll have a regular cheese burger and fries" Kaoru began, not needing to scan the illuminating menu on the screens above at all, "And what would you like, ______?".

"Um..."

"It all tastes good, really"

"I'll have the tuna deli and fries then, please" You answered him, rummaging through your school bag for some spare change.

"Would you like a drink with that?" The waitress asked, as she poked at the order-screen viciously.

"You don't have to get me one Kaoru, I'm not that thirs---"

"Yeah sure, but make it a large cola, we'll be sharing it" Kaoru cut you off with a chuckle, your cheeks heated up at the thought of sharing a drink with Kaoru.

With Kaoru.

Kaoru.

"Okay dokay, that'll be £12.59 then please! Your order shall be ready shortly" The girl announced, opening the cash register eagerly.

Kaoru pulled out more than enough money from his pocket, handing it over to her and then receiving his change "Don't worry, you don't have to pay" Kaoru turned to you, ruffling your hair meekly. You smiled helplessly whilst taming your now scruffed up hair with your fingers "Alright, alright.." You giggled softly under your breath.

After gathering your food and drink, you both headed over to the nearest table available. It was a small padded booth in the corner of the room, and by the looks of things it was almost completely spotless.

"Here we are" He mumbled to himself as he set out the food on the table as you took a seat. Kaoru sat opposite you and laid out the drink in the middle of the table, sinking in the two pale pink straws which were given.

You both began to eat your food, which was quite tasty to your surprise, and fell into a long conversation. You discussed hobbies, funny memories, the other students, favorite bands, classes, books, TV shows, and so on. You both had a lot in common. In fact, you had spent at least an hour talking with him.

"Hey, I'm sorry about the commotion I caused today" Kaoru sighed, tugging a straw closer to his lips as he took a sip.

"It's fine, honestly. We might as well forget about it, y'know?" You comforted him, leaning forward and drinking some of the cola also. You couldn't help but smile when a fine layer of blush crossed Kaoru's cheeks when you came closer to him.

"Are you blushing?" You grinned.

"Ah- Of course not!" He whimpered, blushing slightly more now. He covered his face with his hands sheepishly "I don't know what you're talking about" He muttered, looking side to side nervously. A petty laugh escaped left your lips, and you rolled your eyes amused "Yeah, my eyes must be playing tricks on me.." you spoke sarcastically.

Kaoru smiled cutely, his blush a little lighter now, and you both continued talking.