Chapter 3

I wonder to myself if I even deserve to be loved. Because at this point, I somehow feel lost. Again and again.

It felt like someone close, someone I knew, someone I probably loved before had died, and no one bothered to tell me the truth...

Is that just my heart feeling heartbroken? Or did part of me die? I don't understand why I feel like this.

Or why that Hunter truly makes me feel loved...even if I don't deserve it...

***

"True love sucks!" My older sister, Amanda, cried, hitting her face flat on my bed, groaning, and probably thinking about her relationship with Andrew.

"Just because you started dating, doesn't mean true love sucks," I replied, rising from laying back on my bed while reading Jenny Han's novel, The Summer I Turned Pretty.

"That's cause you already love Hunter," Amanda says, turning her head to look at me.

"Wait, what?" I ask in surprise, looking at her from the novel I was trying to read.

What does she mean?

"Duh. Recently you have been spending more time with him than us, to be honest. At this point, he might propose to you." She says, snickering at me with her eyes sparkling with mischief.

"He likes me?" I question and to myself.

Does he really like me? More than a friend though? Am I good enough for him? Why does he love me-

"Isn't it obvious? He basically follows you like a golden retriever." She replied, and I sighed at that thought.

"That's because he's my best friend, my only friend. Plus he can't possibly like someone like me..." I state, denying the recent feelings I've had for him.

I mean, sure, he’s perfect in my eyes, of course, but-

"You sure about that sis?" Amanda asks, looking at me with a confused look, as she pats my head softly.

What am I to her again? A puppy?

"I don't know..." I answer, honestly, looking away from her stare.

I knew she was worried about me as usual, but I’m fine…

"Do you like him?"

"I said I don't know. I don't wanna ruin our friendship-"

"Oh my god, this is like this movie I just saw last night with my bf." Amanda squeals, and I shake my head in denial once more.

"Oh shut up, just because I like him, doesn't mean I wanna ruin our friendship. It could actually kill us both."

"Eh, you'll see." She replies, getting up to leave my room.

"Uh-huh," I reply, now ignoring her as my eyes head back to Chapter 13 of the book.

"Oh, don't worry about it yet. Now come on, we have to go with Mom later."

"Why?" I ask in confusion.

"You forgot about my senior prom, didn't you?"

I groan in dismay and roll myself up from my bed.

"Not my fault school sucks."

***

"Please tell me, you found my funeral dress?" I asked, groaning as if I were in great pain.

Even if I’m just standing there, next to my mom, waiting for her to find me a dress, also knowing that I hate wearing a dress…

"Nah," Mom said, still looking around the dresses for me and Amanda since we were the only ones in high school.