Chapter 38 - A Man Who Protects

Начните с самого начала

"Hello?" Olivia said, furrowing her eyebrows.

"It's such a relief that you finally picked up! It's Pete," he said from the other line.

"I already knew that," she replied , looking at Ethan who was just a few inches away. "What do you want?"

"Is Ethan there?"

"Yes," Ethan said as he moved closer to Olivia's phone.

"Oh, you're actually listening," Pete said. "Before you get the wrong idea, which I assume you already did, it wasn't my intention to call Olivia. Your mother made me do it."

"My mother?"

"You haven't been picking up her calls and your phone's been off since yesterday. She terrifies me so much that when she came to me and said she wanted to talk to you and I needed to make it happen no matter what, I had no choice."

"Give me that phone!" Ms Hudson said from the other line. "Ethan? For how long will you ignore me?"

Ethan sighed. "You could've just come here instead, not use Pete."

"Just so I can set my eyes on that good for nothing?"

"Don't disrespect her like that."

"Is that how it is now? You stand by her no matter w-"

"For you to go through all this trouble, did you have something to say?"

"Why won't you speak to me?"

"It's not easy for me to just forget about what happened."

"Are you still stuck on that? Fine, I'm sorry. There, I apologized."

Ethan shook his head. "You're unbelievable."

"What else do you want? I apologized. Isn't that enough?"

Unable to hear her nonchalantly express herself, he abruptly ended the call and dropped the phone on the bed then buried his face in his hands with a heavy sigh.

Olivia rested her chin on his shoulder and held onto his hand. "Your mother's really.... something."

Having no words to express his disappointment, he remained silent for a while.

It was only when she suggested that they make breakfast together that his mood brightened up.

In the kitchen, Angela watched from a distance as they made the kitchen their own with lots of laughter.

Their lovely interaction made her smile and she was aware that they had spent the night together since she had heard them. It was all wonderful news and she would've been completely thrilled, if not for the task she needed to accomplish.

~

Ethan had mentioned to Olivia that he had been invited to an event organized by the same family he was partnering with and planned on going with her.

With still so much to do, he needed to be at the office and would only return in the evening.

Without him around, Angela saw that as the perfect opportunity to speak to Olivia. She had received a message early in the morning from Helena, who had suggested they could start by telling Olivia the truth.