18 - Caesars (Kieran)

Start from the beginning

"You said softball was okay, right?"

Naomi nodded after she sipped her drink. "Greg was there, but it was civil. Ian kept me distracted, and we went out for drinks later with a few teammates."

Kieran wasn't sure what distractions Ian offered her, but it seemed out of place to ask. Plus, she only brought him up when she talked about softball, so he had limited influence in her life. "Sounds like you're going to be alright."

She played with a strand of her hair. "It felt weird, like Greg and I might revert to our old friendship or, he'd say last week was a huge mistake."

"That's understandable." Also disappointing, but Kieran didn't blame her. He had dated no one seriously since Katy, and if it was still an option, he'd be hanging onto hope.

"But then I remembered what you told me about needing someone to build me up instead of tearing me down, and I kept my distance."

His eyes widened. Had his words affected her enough to keep her away from her ex? He had meant them, but applying them was different. Brinny broke him down far too often, and he returned to her.

Perhaps it's time to take your own advice.

He smiled at Naomi. "Good for you. That must not have been easy."

"Softball helps. Getting into the zone where it's only you, the bat and the ball and then smacking that thing as hard as possible. It makes the world melt away."

"That sounds satisfying."

"We can hit up the batting cages next week."

Kieran's forehead creased. "I'm not sure I want to give you visual confirmation of how uncoordinated I am."

"You'll power through a swing easily."

"I'm better suited for competitive eating than competitive sports." The uncomfortable arms of the chair kept reminding him as they squished his thighs together.

Naomi leaned forward on the table, offering a subtle peek at her cleavage, though he tried not to stare. "Size is an advantage in a lot of sports. You'd take someone down on a football or rugby field. Not to knock competitive eating, I just never understood the appeal of rushing through something I'd much rather savour and enjoy."

The way she stretched out both of those words and the look in her eyes convinced him she was talking about more than food again. He loved that she wanted to hint about that around him.

"That sounds like a perfect way to appreciate it."

That heart-melting smile reappeared. Did she picture him as she imagined a slow, cozy romance? His vision was her snuggled next to him on the couch, where he'd kiss her softly.

Naomi blinked at him until he remembered she'd asked him a question.

"If you've set your heart on batting cages, let's do it. But you can't laugh excessively at how terrible I am."

"If I can train animals who minimally understand me, I can help you land a few hits."

Kieran smiled. "Game on."

When Kieran and Naomi left the bar, almost three hours had passed, but it felt like thirty minutes. They'd talked, laughed and ate until their sides hurt. For a thin woman, she put away a decent amount of food. They ended the evening with him walking her to her car and them exchanging a long, clingy hug. His attraction had to be as obvious as a flashing neon sign, but she was still keeping him at a friend's distance. One week after her breakup, that was understandable, and her presence alone was enough to light up his night.

Back at the condo, Kieran found Jake playing video games in the living room. He was talking to his buddies over his headset. When a lull occurred in the game, he pulled off the headset and said, "It's a lot later than you usually return from Brinny's."

"Dog training night. Naomi and I had drinks afterward."

Jake looked away from his game. "Without Brinny?"

"Yeah, Naomi's getting over her ex, and she wanted to hang out. She called me the break-up whisperer."

Jake chuckled. "You are familiar with rejection."

"That's a burn," Kieran muttered.

Jake rubbed at the back of his neck. "Sorry, I meant you empathize well because you've put yourself in situations where romantic rejection occurs. How is she doing?"

Her mood-lifting smile came to mind, her melodic laugh, and her strong arms as she clung to him like he would abandon her. Kieran had known her for a month and a half, and he struggled to see how her ex walked away so easily. But she and Kieran weren't dating.

"She's still upset. Her ex hasn't spoken to her since their split, and he was a close friend, so she's taking it pretty hard. But she can also be upbeat, and funny, and interesting."

Jake eyed Kieran and exited his game. "Are you attracted to her?"

"You've met her. It's hard not to be."

With a sigh, Jake readjusted his position on the couch. "Does she know that?"

"She might be preoccupied with her heartbreak, but it wouldn't take rocket science to figure it out."

Jake studied him. "Are you sure it's a good idea to act the way you are?"

"What does that mean?"

"While she lost a good friend for whom she had romantic feelings, you don't have to stand in as a substitute. Being a good friend is enough and most advisable, given your recent romantic history and hers."

"Give me some credit. We've talked about her asexuality, and I've read about it to understand in a broad sense what to expect. Just because I haven't run back to relationships after we moved, doesn't mean I've given up on them."

"So you want a relationship with her?"

Kieran tucked his hands in his pockets. "I don't know. It's complicated. She's just broken up with her ex."

"She seems to trust you. It's worth considering how you act around her. If you aren't open to the type of relationship she can offer you, it's best to back off. It's early enough in your friendship to establish your baseline closeness."

But Kieran couldn't imagine putting more distance between them. He wanted less and less each time they met up, which might grow problematic. Damn it, Jake had a point. But she offered different closeness, physical and emotional. While he loved the thrills of holding her, his emotional closeness well was being replenished after a drought.

But allowing emotional closeness came with the risk of letting her into his past and the complications that accompanied it. Perhaps Jake was right, and friendship was the ideal option.