CINNAMON's WAKE

chapter 6

        The Gilmore women sat in a large house without Richard

The Gilmore women sat in a large house without Richard. "Where did you say dad was?" Lorelei asked as Victoria picked at her food. Her mother and sister hadn't said anything since she had gotten home, not about her winning or about how she like Colorado.

"Away on business." Emily said vaguely as Victoria continued to pick at her food. She wasn't particularly fond of the meal they were having that night.

"Is the location too secret?" Lorelei asked as she turned to her own mother.

"Oh, he's in Germany." Emily said, voice bored.

"Germany, is dad's from insuring Natzis now?" Lorelei asked as Emily's eye brows furrowed.

      "Your father doesn't know any nazis." Emily said as she dapper the side of her mouth.

      "I know mom. I was just—" Lorelei started as Emily cut her off with a raised eyebrow.

      "What?" Emily asked quizzically.

      "Joking." Lorelei said as she looked down.

       "She was joking." Rory defended but Victoria didn't feel like helping the situation or engaging.

       "Oh— hard to tell." Emily said, the air was stiff and none seemed to be in the mood for talking that knight.

       "Yeah, well..." Lorelei said trailing off as she picked put her food and placed some on her own mouth.

       "Oh, I'm Adair's I have some bad news— Claudia died." Emily said mournfully as Victoria choked on her food, was her own grandmother talking about her hair dresser?

       "Who?" Lorelei asked

       "Claudia, your cousin Claudia." Emily said before looking at Lorelei's lost face. "Claudia!" Emily said as Victoria felt a wave of relief, her hairdresser was not dead.

       "I'm hearing the name, I have no idea who that is."

       "Claudia's your cousin for all intents and purposes."

       "Oh, now we're gettin' to it."

      "She was your father's grandmother's sister's girl. So to you that would make her—" Victoria choked her water.

       "Nothing."

       "Regardless, the funeral's on Thursday. I thought we'd all go together."

        "I'm free that day grandma."  Victoria said, hoping to not cause a fight but it seemed her efforts were futile.

       "Wow! Two problems. One, impossible to get away from the Inn on Thursday. Two, I've never met this woman." Lorelei said as Victoria sighed.