BOY PROBLEMS

chapter 2

     Victoria was walking home when she saw her sister talking to a boy, he had flappy brown hair and a greaser look to him

Victoria was walking home when she saw her sister talking to a boy, he had flappy brown hair and a greaser look to him. "I mean, I know it's kind of cliché to pick Moby dіck as your first Melville but, hey, how did you know I was reading Moby dіck?" Rory asked as she walked down the road, abruptly stopping to look at the boy, Dean.

"Uh, well, I've been watching you." Dean said as Victoria leaned against the wall an eyebrow at them, from across the actress of course.

"Watching me?" Rory asked as she looked up at him, as he was pretty tall.

"I mean, not in a creepy, like, 'I'm watching you' sort of way. I just —— I've noticed you." Dean said.

"Me?" Rory asked as she scratched the back of her neck.

"Yeah." Dean responded blandly, staring into Rory's soul.

"When?" Rory asked curiously.

"She is seriously setting herself up to be murdered." Victoria thought to herself as she ran her hands through her hands.

"Every day. After school you come out and you sit under that tree there and you read. Last week it was Madame Bovary. This week it's Moby dіck.

"But why would you——" Rory started but she was cut off.

"Because you're nice to look at, and because you've got unbelievable concentration." Dean said as he stared down at her.

"What?" Rory questioned as she just stared at him.

"Last Friday these two guys were tossing around a ball and one guy nailed the other right in the face. I mean, it was a mess, blood everywhere, the nurse came out, the place was in chaos, his girlfriend was all freaking out, and you just sat there and read. I mean, you never even looked up. I thought, 'I have never seen anyone read so intensely before in my entire life. I have to meet that girl.'" Dean recalled as he placed his hands in his pockets.

"Maybe I just didn't look up because I'm unbelievably self-centered." Rory responded as she tried to reason with him.

"Maybe, but I doubt it." Dean said as they smile at each other.

"So, did I ask if you like cake?" Rory asked as the continued walking.

"Yeah, you did." Dean said as he fixed the box to Rory's stuff, that had been in his arms.

"Oh. 'Cause they have really good cake back there." Rory responded as she brought him to Ms. Patty's school for dance, where they could hopefully find him a job.

☕️

"So you were late getting home tonight." Lorelei said as she and her daughters sat in their favorite diners eating salad, although it was more like pushing around their plate. Victoria had decided not to get salad as she disliked anything that was naturally green.