-Blooming Iris Chapter 29-

Start from the beginning

“How did you know it was her?” I found myself asking.

“Well, I'd been intercepting Molly's phone calls for the past week, and from what I'd gather she had been calling a certain number a lot,” he started to explain, motioning his hands as he talked. “So, this morning, I dialed that number by pressing in star sixty-seven first so the person wouldn't be able to save my number or know who's calling.”

He paused, taking a deep breath before he continued. “Once it started ringing, I held my breath, and the other person picked up, and said, 'hello'.”

“And that was your mother that answered?” Shane asked.

“Yup,” he popped the 'p'. “It was her voice. I'm certain on that.”

Shane nodded. “Do you know why your mother sent her?”

Richard stuffed his hands in his pockets, rocking back and forth on the heels of his feet before he talked. “Molly must be the daughter of my mom's deceased friend. When she was in college, she met this friend. They were inseparable. They did everything together from shopping, eating dinner, taking the same major in college, and doing homework. They even shared an apartment, so on the day before my mom moved, they made a pack. That their children would be wed. When I found out that it was my mother that sent Molly, I knew she had to be her friend's daughter. Sadly Molly's parents died a few months ago in a car accident.”

“So, Molly is really your fiancée ?” I asked him once the story was over.

He looked at me, as his eyes filled with so much pain and agony. “Yeah, she is. I can't do anything about it. I knew I had a fiancée at a young age, but we just never met until now.”

This was real. Molly really is his fiancé. “S-so, you're going to marry her?” I asked, trying to keep my voice from breaking.

Richard looked away from my face as he answered my question. “I have no choice,” he spoke quietly. “My mom made a pack with her friend. She's going to honor it especially since she passed away.”

Why does he have to honor it? It's the twenty-first century! People have the right to choose who they want to marry. “B-but can't you get out of it?”

He gave me a doleful look. “Iris... I can't.”

“So, you're really going to marry Molly then?” I repeated once again. I knew the answer, I just hope he would say something else. Anything else.

“Yeah...” he answered softly, but I heard it.

“What about me?” I asked. I thought he will only and forever like me? When did that become a lie?

“I just have to get over you,” Richard said looking dejected. “It's better this way. Plus, you're not even legal age yet, so even then I would have to wait two years.”

“So, you're just going to give up!?” I asked, my voice going up an octave, as the hot trail of tears ran down my face. “You don't care about me anymore?”

“Of course I care about you!” he lashed back at me. “Since when have I ever said I didn't?”

I stood frozen, looking at him. Richard, he got mad at me. That never happens … “Y-you yelled at me.”

He sighed, pitching the bridge of his nose. He came forward, lifting his hand up. I flinched. “I-I'm sorry Iris. I didn't mean to. I-I just want you to know, even though I'm marrying Molly, I won't stop caring about you. Don't you ever forget that.”

“B-but I lo—” I shut my mouth. There's no use. It's too late.

“What was that?” he asked, cupping his hands together against his ear, so he could hear me better.

I looked away. “Nothing.”

He lifted my chin up, staring at me with those eyes of his. “What is it Iris?” he asked once more; his hot breath fanning in front of my face. “Tell me.”

I swatted his hands away. “Just forget about it. It doesn't matter anymore.”

His eyes dropped. “Are you sure?”

“I'm sure.”

A dead silence filled the air, as the tension around us started building up. Richard didn't know what to say, and I didn't either. I was heartbroken. He chose her. I was too late. I realized my feelings for him too late ... then again, even if I had realized my feelings for him before, Molly would have still gotten Richard.

It was arranged before they were even born. Nothing I could do about that anymore.

“Ah... so,” Shane started off, as he stared at us, “is that why you came home today? To tell Iris this?” he asked trying to change the subject.

Richard nodded his head. “Yeah, and I wanted to make sure Iris was eating something else beside pancakes or pizza.”

He smiled. “She is. She had hot dogs, though..." Shane drifted off, looking at the five empty plates, “I think she found herself a new favorite.”

He faced me. “Really Iris?” he asked, that discussion long forgotten. “Don't start eating hot dogs everyday now, alright?”

Even though he moved on from it, I didn't. I could never forget that. “Fine.”

“Iris—”

“Well, it looks like you guys figured everything out,” a voice said behind us, interrupting Richard.

All three of us looked around, staring at Molly. I narrowed my eyes at her. She looked too happy.

“What do you mean?” Richard asked her.

“Our arrange marriage, sweetheart,” she said sweetly, giving Richard a open-mouth smile.

“It wasn't hard to figure out,” Richard told her. “But why didn't you just tell me from the beginning?”

She skipped past me, flashing him her teeth. She looped her arms through his, bringing him closer towards his face. My heart ached at the sight of that. It could never be me in her place.

Hearing a soft growl to my left, I whipped my head around to see Shane clenching his jaw. Strange . . . what's wrong with him?

“You didn't even give me enough time to explain, baby,” she cooed, rubbing his cheek. Richard pulled back a bit, giving her a warily smile.

“Then you were at your office all week. How could I?” She pouted, battling her eyelashes at him.

“Oh... you're right.”

“Of course I'm right!” she cheered, grabbing his hand by force. She faced us.

“Now that Richard has agree to the marriage. Let's start planning the wedding!”