Zack shifted from foot to foot, keeping silent as Brett spoke.

"What did you do to Alice, huh?" I said, my voice slightly failing me. "Did you threaten her like you're threatening me right now?"

"Who said anything about threatening?" he said in a dark tone with his fingers scraping my brace. His eyes not tearing away from me. Why did I think he could break my ankle in one squeeze? "Mind your damn business. It's got nothing to do with you."

"Fuck off, Brett. It's got everything to do with me. I've done nothing to you to treat me this way." I yelled. "And if you've hurt Alice... I'll fucking hurt you!"

Zack chuckled, but Brett narrowed his eyes at me with a tilt of his head. His hand backed off from my ankle and I swallowed in a breath of relief. "She's not the same happy self and I know something happened, even though she refuses to tell me."

Brett seemed satisfied with my response. He glanced away and exhaled. "I know. She just needs to understand me and take time to adjust."

I scrunched my nose. This was the first time his face softened with feeling. "Adjust to what?"

But he didn't answer, instead he went back to his jerk-ish ways. "When are you going back to your home?"

I shrugged. "Whenever Alice wants to go back."

"That won't do."

"Why?"

"I don't plan for Alice to leave when the two weeks are up," he said and turned to me. "But I expect you to leave, if not earlier."

I blinked. Shocked at the news. My mouth opened to argue, but he stomped off onto the grounds. Zack hopped over to me, chuckling. "You've got guts to talk to Brett that way. I'll give you that."

I sighed and stumbled to my feet. "Thanks, I guess." I wasn't sure if that was a compliment. I hoped Alice was awake from her nap. I needed to talk to check on her and raise my growing concerns once and for all. I grabbed my crutch beside the chair and staggered to the door.

"Where're you going?" Zack said.

"Checking on Alice," I said and swung open the door with a wince and stepped inside. The main house was empty. The last time I checked, Faye was in the kitchen with Pippa taking inventory. Willow was occupied with her friends, and the others were out on errands. I walked to the stairs, determined to express to Alice my alarming concerns. I made up my mind. The information I could gather from this odd compound sealed my suspicions. I recapped the inklings in my head:

The main leader, everyone listened to and obeyed.

The compound isolated from society.

The people detached from the normal world and were weird as hell.

Each one having a dedicated role to survive like it was Armageddon.

Brett's home. His people. This compound... was a fucking cult! And I be damned that I'll let their clutches dig into my Alice! I stomped up the first step painfully. But halted in my tracks when I heard murmurings from the living room. A giggle pierced the air.

Alice! I knew her voice.

I turned around and walked towards the living room. I entered cautiously and observed Alice sitting on the couch with Faye seated beside her. A tea pot steaming on the table in front of them. They were in conversation and laughing about something as they both sipped on tea. I frowned. Alice seemed fine... or were they sucking her into their cult?!

This is how it starts!

I cleared my throat, exerting my presence.

Alice looked up from the rim of her teacup and smiled. "Hey, Zoey." She said. "How's your ankle?"