Chapter 22

Tanjiro's POV

I think Alan doesn't have a lot of friends. Maybe it's because he's new, or maybe it's his awkwardness. Either way, he seems lonely. See, this is where I come in!

"Hey, would you like to sit with me and Muichiro at lunch?" I asked, walking with him down the hallway. He widened his eyes in surprise.

"R-really? Um.. um yea! Yea um that's.. sure!" He gave me a sheepish smile, and I laughed.

"Alright. We're at locker 177, Cya!" And I trotted away, going to my next class. I hope Muichiro and him will get along! I awaited for my classes to end, miserably watching the board. Okay, lunch time. I thought once we were dismissed to lunch. "Hey Muichiro!" I said, sitting down next to him against his locker. "I invited Alan to come sit with us. Is that okay?"

He stayed silent for a moment. I awaited nervously for his response. "... sure." He gave me a half smile before biting into his sandwich. He seems off about the idea... maybe he's just nervous! 

"Um, hi...!" Alan walked over, standing in front of us as if he didn't know if he should sit or not. I patted down a spot near me. "Thanks for inviting m-me to lunch!" He set his tray down, reaching over for his apple. Muichiro ignored him.

"How are the classes so far?" I ask, before taking a sip of water. "Any mean teachers?"

"Well..." he started, thinking for a bit. "Mr. Iguro is kinda um strict and stuff... and so is Ms. Jiafei." He furrowed his brows. "It's a little difficult, because I didn't join in the beginning of the year."

"Understandable." I nod sympathetically, waiting to see if he'll elaborate. 

"And... I'm um happy you asked me to sit with you. I-I probably would've sat in the um bathrooms if you didn't, lol." He smiled awkwardly, and I just blinked back at him, deciding to ignore the fact that he said 'lol' out loud.

Muichiro glanced up at me from his sneakers, raising an eyebrow. There's no room to be judgy. Let's give him a chance. I give Muichiro whatever look communicates that, and he replies with. 'I guess...' 

"So!" I start, placing my sandwich into the container. "What're your hobbies?" He stares into space for a suspiciously large amount of time, before looking back at me, still seeming confused by the question. "Like, what do you-"

"Discord." I stared in confusion. Huh?

"What... what do you mean? As in discord for a hobby?"

"I-I talk to um people o-on um d-discord." 

"How much?"

"All.. of um. All of t-the time."

Jeez. All the time? How lonely is this guy? "What about?" I ask, a little nervous about what the answer will be. He shrugs, taking a chomp from his apple.

"Like, v-video games and um stuff."

Oh. Muichiro gives me that look again. 'Didn't I tell you this guy was weird?' I just ignore him and decide to keep talking to Alan. Who am I to judge? Whatever makes him happy, makes him happy.

"What's you favorite game?" 

"Probably Minecraft." Ok, not bad. "I build herobrine bases in it." 

"Oh, nice! How do they look like?" 

"G-giant boxes. Of bedrock..."

He goes back to eating, silent this time. I see why he doesn't have many friends now. Oh shut up! That's so mean! I cringe at my rudeness. Muichiro was difficult the first time. Maybe this guy's like Muichiro? Maybe he'll be a little.. less strange? Over time? I'll just hang out with him more. He needs to do something other than discord, either way. And I then maybe Muichiro'll warm up to him. Hopefully, anyway. I mean, how do you not feel bad for a person like Alan?