Chapter 19

Tanjiro's POV ((also do you guys like my quick little sketch🤓 dunno why, black background with white line art just looks so much nicer to me.))

I touched my cheek, at the spot where Muichiro kissed. It felt like it was on fire, to say the least. I willed the feeling away, not having time to spend thinking about a somewhat wet spot on my face. I would only need to worry as much if he left a mark, like Kanao did that one time with her lipstick. I didn't even know... Nezuko had to tell me.

I skipped back inside, passing the kitchen that contained two nosy parents. "What was that about?" Dad asked, setting down his mug of coffee. It was a Father's Day gift. It said 'If you're depressed, just don't be sad.' It was my all time favorite quote, one I stole from Inosuke.

"Nothing much. Just a... friend dropping something off for me." I gave them a tight smile, but when I was about to make my great escape, Mom spoke up.

"Can we see?" She smiled sweetly as I handed her the thick paper. She studied it, the corner of her mouth twitching. "Who's it from?" 

"... Genya!" I grabbed the page from her hands, but she had a tight grip on it. I let it go, not wanting it to rip.

"Tanjiro." She squinted at me, calculating. Dad did the same. "Is there something you need to tell us?" Shit. I shook my head, reaching out for the paper. Dad sighed, crossing his legs.

"Son, are you-" I snatched the paper, doing a 180 and booking it to my room. No way! I'm not answering that question! I let out a deep breath once I got on my rug, laying down on my stomach. A small, step-like sound pattered its way into my bedroom, and I picked up my head, locking eyes with Hanako.

"Tanjiro!" She ran over, crouching down so she was closer to my level. "Tanjiro, Tanjiro!" 

"Yes? What happene-" 

"Momma and Dad keep talking about you..?" Her voice faded away and I sat up, suddenly interested in what she was saying.

"Mhm... and what are they talking about?" I asked, crossing my arms in front of my chest. 

"They think you're... like... gay? What is that??" She tilted her head to the side, and I pat her shoulder in what I hoped was a reassuring way.

"Don't worry about that, Hanako. It's nothing, really. Don't tell them you told me this." I  added, and she nodded her head in what seemed to be slight confusion. 

"Oh. Oh ok." She stood up, walking away, before tripping on air and almost falling.

"Be careful now!" I called out as she turned the corner. She looked back, giving me a small nod. I smiled to myself, but it quickly ceased once she was out of sight. I glanced at my watch for no reason, awaiting for Monday. For any day. Just not the weekend. I soon enough realized that it was like 2pm. I have volleyball practice in an hour! Perfect! Something to do!! I stood up in excitement, and strode over to my closet to find my uniform. I recently signed up on impulse because I had nothing to do. Today was my first day. I hope I make some good friends!

I trampled down the stairs and into the kitchen, where Mom and Dad were sitting in silence. Or well, almost, because they were kind of murmuring to each other. Mom looked up at me, glancing at my uniform. "Oh! Volleyball, right?" She asked, and I nodded. She sighed, sipping from her cup. "Tanjuro, can you take him? I have to make dinner."

"Why so early?" I asked, knowing this probably means guests will come over. The earlier she starts, the fancier it is. Plus, who makes leg of lamb without inviting people over? Inviting people over was my parents' favorite thing. I didn't really care, because it was something keeping my sanity, so I wasn't so... not-active all the time.