Chapter 15

Tanjiro's POV

I wish I could say something, anything about my actual feelings. Faking them was so difficult and time consuming. The past few weeks were just plain tragic for Muichiro, considering the amount of times he's been called names or beaten up. But I'll always be there for him. I don't think I'll ever get tired of taking care of him, but I WILL get tired of those dumbasses that keep putting him int that position in the first place. The other day, somebody literally tried putting laxatives in his water bottle. I saw them when he wasn't looking. 

I'm not the type of person to beat someone up, but those people are starting to change my values... 

 I sighed and closed my locker, which Iv'e been looking at for the past 20 minutes while thinking about this. A yelp echoed from the boys bathroom- sounded a lot like Muichiro. I slammed my locker shut and dashed over to the door, swinging it open to see Chase and Caleb with him, Caleb holding him by his hair while Chase was trying to cut it. I ran over and shoved them aside, pulling a terrified Muichiro into my arms.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!" I yelled, holding his head against my chest protectively. They're not getting near him again. They snickered and exchanged looks, and Chase had the audacity to walk over and ruffle up my hair like I'm some little kid. 

"Calm down Jamal! We're just joking around. He's being a pussy, jeez." He laughed and snipped the air with his scissors. Caleb shrugged his shoulders. 

"Dunno, he should get a haircut on my opinion. We were doing him a favor." He smirked, crossing his arms. Chase continued to cut imaginary hair with his little plastic school scissors. I gave them an angry look. 

"Come on." I took Muichiro's hand and stomped out of there, livid. They were going to cut his hair? He was growing it out for years. At least that's what he told me. I can't imagine how horrified I would be if someone just cut off all that hard work. I cupped Muichiro's face in my hands, observing him for any cuts they could've done with those scissors. They may not look the part, but those things can cause damage. 

I swallowed a gasp at the sight of blood on my hands when I pulled away. I moved his hair out of the way, before taking in a sharp breath at the sight of his bloody ear. Muichiro looked at my dirty hand, before burying his face in his arms, and shaking his head.

"Here." I said, pulling him in once more, but for a hug this time. "It'll be okay. I promise." I whisper in his reddened ear, wiping off some blood that got on my lips before he could see it. I dabbed his ear with a napkin I found in my bag, before going into another bathroom to clean him up. He mumbled a quiet 'thank you' before speedwalking out of the bathroom, probably to his next class.

I accompanied him at lunch by the lockers today, because this day was difficult, and I didn't want anybody to make it even harder in such a busy place like the cafeteria. I skipped class earlier to erase all the slurs across his locker. Stuff like 'slut', 'bitch', 'manwhore', and etc. But I guess someone stopped by his locker right after I left, because there was plenty of bad words scribbled big across the metal door. I quietly sat down next to him, taking out my baloney sandwich.

"I'm sorry this is happening to you." I sighed, giving him a sad smile. He tried his best to return it, but ended up breaking down into tears. He leaned against me, his face buried into my sleeve.

"I-I just don't know why anyone would do this..." he continued to speak into my shoulder, and I pet his hair. "What did I do to deserve this?" He wrapped his arms around my neck, and pulled himself up so that his head was resting on my shoulder. I rested my hand on his wait, but he didn't seem to notice. He might've been to focused on crying at the moment.