5. Out Of All the Cops in Town

The covered vehicle I've seen before caught my attention again. I was wondering what had been Jacob's prized possession under that sheet. Maybe dad had bought him a new Lamborghini, no it this was too small to be it. Maybe a Mini Cooper, not it was bigger than that.

"What you looking at Nessie?" Jacob whispered in my ear as he grabbed my waist from behind.

"Nothing, just wondering what's under there." I looked at the covered object.

"You really want to see?"

"Uh, yeah. If you don't mind showing me." I looked at him to see his expression. To my surprise he was thinking about it. Usually he gave me what I wanted in a heartbeat, now he hesitated. "If you want, you don't have to show me anything." I repeated

He smiled I guess he was going show me after all. He led me to the front of it. He let me stand alone as he went to grab a corner of the fabric. With one quick jerk the cloth was off to reveal a red car. It was actually pretty amazing. It looked brand new! I walked around it admiring it, it was a Volkswagen Rabbit. I guessed it was old since it looked that style. But everything else seemed new. Jacob walked to the passenger door and opened it.

"Wanna go for a ride?" He smirked.

"I want to see what's under the hood."

He looked at me surprised. I had read some books on mechanics and cars. I just never told him that.

"Okay." He walked over to the driver's side reached for something. A "clink" followed his action. The hood popped open. I lifted it and inserted the rod that would keep it open. Jake joined my side with a surprised look.

"What? I got some studying done." I grinned.

"You could have told me something."

"1986 VW Rabbit, definitely a classic."

"Wow." He smiled.

I finally turned to look at the motor. It was the original. Of course it was fixed up as if for a drag car. It was clean and there were turbo intakes. Now I knew why this was so special. This thing could outrun even Aunt Alice's turbo Porsche.

"This was also one of my earliest projects; I started it since before I knew your mom. It took me a while to get all the parts. Then I fixed the interior, moved on to the exterior. As money came by I kept polishing it, paint and body, comfortable interior, turbo, you name it." He paused to sigh and look at me. "It took a lot out of me, but here's the finished product." He grinned my favorite grin, of course I smiled back.

"Let's go for a ride." I took the rod that held the hood up and put it back where it belonged. I took the hood and let it fall lightly into place. The "clink" was the sound that let me know it was closed. Jacob went back to open the passenger door.

"At your service miss." He smiled.

"What a gentleman, thank you." I sat in the leather seat. I was amazed on how the black leather interior shined with the dim light. This might have been and old car and style, but now it was totally modern and luxurious.

"Ready?"

"Ready, I can't wait to see if this is faster than my aunt's Porsche."

"Hopefully it is. Is hers pretty fast?" He asked doubting his car's ability.

"I've been in it once with her. She drives it at about 100 easily, only goes to 220 though." I tried to cheer him up. According to the odometer, the Rabbit should go all the way to 250mph. Weird how it did that; usually these cars could only go to 110.

"Alright let's test it out."

"What? You mean you never drove it?!?"

"No. Does that scare you?" He smiled. "Well I haven't driven it since all the modifications, I don't know if you noticed, but a rabbit is built to go fast. I made sure this car lived up to its name."