Arc 2.15

Basil was sitting propped against the pillows as he gazed at Shen Jiyu, not hiding the expectations in his eyes.

Shen Jiyu coughed slightly before he lied, "That cake is not good to have too much in one day. Tomorrow, you will definitely eat it."

Basil narrowed his eyes, that was a lie but then again, he had never seen Haldir with this kind of expression before, nervous and out of his depth. It was very interesting to see. "You promised to teach me the recipe, do you remember?"

By then, he must have gotten the recipe from Xiao Shu, he grinned as he remembered how this same ultimatum made Basil to storm out of the classroom angry, "Sure as long as you pass the Herbology course and apply for a position in the Herbology consortium, I would definitely teach you the recipe."

This time around Basil did not get angry, he just closed his eyes and leaned his head against the pillows, "Ok. A deal." After a few seconds, he added, "I am hungry."

The nerves that had walked out the door, invited themselves back into the room. Food? Yes, he needed to make food for Basil to eat. Does tea count? It was all that he knew how to make. He was positive, he would make an absolutely amazing dish once he learns but he glanced at Basil, there was no time to learn. Should he wing it?

There was a knock on the door and Shen Jiyu grinned, Thank the Dao. Basil also opened his eyes and sat up on the bed.

Shen Jiyu reached out to steady him, "Resty some more. It is probably my friends, Shien and Shiena, I would see what they want." He then walked out of the bedroom.

Basil watched him, the expression on his face darkening. It was as if a light bulb had been switched off as his eyes faded back to a cold mist. That right, Haldir also had other friends, people he cared for. His fingers clutched the bed sheets tightly. He did not like it.

It would be easy for those people to convince Haldir to leave his side. Haldir might not care for the words and thoughts of total strangers but who would ignore the words of their friends and family.

Basil grew up with nothing. His parents died before he was two years old. This was the first time he had something so precious, something he enjoyed and wanted to keep to himself for as long as possible. He would be damned if he let someone steal Haldir's affection and care for him.

"Archeal, are you still there?"

"How did you know who I am?" There was a confusion and disbelief in the voice that pleased Basil.

The knowledge that Archeal was still present made him relax a bit and he placed his ear on the wall of the bedroom, but he could not hear a word of what was going on outside. If he signed the contract now, he would be able to use the shadow ability he would gain and find out what they were discussing in the living room.

**

"Merry morn, Haldir." Shiena and Shien said in unison.

Haldir greeted them back, "Shein, please help me go to Lottie's place and get some dumplings for me. Buy tow plates, also buy some egg fried rice for Mr Niver's place on your way back." He ordered naturally as he opened the door wider for Shiena to come in.

The twins gave each other a look before Shien left and Shiena entered inside. She seemed uncomfortable and looked left and right.

"He is in the bedroom. Surely you too are not afraid of him."

Shiena gave him a side eye, but she ended up taking the seat nearest to the door and far from the bedroom.

Haldir scoffed and he took the seat opposite her. Shiena raised her eyes, not hiding the judgmental gaze in his eyes, "What is wrong with you? Do you know what everyone is saying about you? How have you lost your mind? What are you doing with that devil..."

She faltered upon the gaze she received from Haldir, "That child. Haldir think about your mother. Do you know what such rumor would have on her reputation and prestige as the chief priest of Lady Elvina."

"I am doing it because I must…" Shen Jiyu began the same speech that he had given the children, but Shiena was not easily fooled.

"Lady Elvina taught us to love and be kind, but it would not do us well to be foolish. The dark elves had always been evil and notorious. It is only a fool that stretched out his hand to a snake who has bitten him before."

Haldir leaned back on the chair, his brows creased, his argument had been a bit faulty for these light elves who are obstinate about punishing and classifying the dark elves as evil. He soon thought of another way and moved closer to Shiena.

His actions were like he was about to relay a secret and Shiena frowned before she moved closer as well, listening carefully.

"The truth is that the day that I fainted, I saw a vision of Lady Elvina." He began to tell her all that he had heard from Elvina.

After a few minutes, Shiena stood up, her eyes wide with shock. "Oh my! We have to tell everyone at once. Let us go to..."

Haldir held her arm to stop her from broadcasting it to everyone in Elvina. Judging from the expression and shock in her face, she did not doubt it one bit. To her, Elvina was a goddess, who dared lie with her name?

Shen Jiyu had no problem lying about a woman who had reached Dao Ascendance.

"I would go later that day to the Court of Justice. It is imperative, I know but Basil is terribly sick."

Shiena's eyes were as wide as saucers, she was a little hesitant but the disgust she once had were no longer in her eyes, "Then you should take good care of him. I have some Moonwort here; they are good for fevers and cold."

Shen Jiyu smiled as he accepted the herbs, "I will get to boiling it!"

Shiena knew he was busy, and she stood up. As he opened the door, Shien flew to the doorstep carrying a large package. Shen Jiyu stretched out to collect the [package and after saying a quick thanks, he shut the door.

"Basil! Food is ready."

He entered the kitchen and transfer the food to his own plates before carrying them on a wooden tray to the bedroom.

Basil was no longer lying down but was sitting on Xiao Shu's favorite seat, the swinging one near the window.

He looked up at Shen Jiyu and smiled. "Thank you, your friends…"

Shen Jiyu constructed a wooden table next to the chair and arranged the tray, "They have gone. They wished that you get better soon. Shiena left some Moonwort; I will boil it for you later."

Basil was doubtful, "For me. Do they know..."

"Of course." Shen Jiyu almost wanted to laugh at the cute expression, so he reached over to ruffle Basil's head. "Eat. We have an appointment at the Court of Justice."

Basil took a bite of the dumpling and frowned. It was Lottie, his chef. He suddenly wanted to spit it out, but it was Haldir that bought it for him. His Haldir. "Why?"

Shen Jiyu hummed. He was in a good mood, "Isn't it in the name, we have to get you justice."