Arc 2.7

Shen Jiyu knew that he had hurt people with his words, but he had never cared. He had always said things like they were to him, it was not his fault if the person could not handle the truth. Zhong Ming was a madman who cultivated through the pain of others, he raped people, and brutally tortured and murdered young immortals, his son was even worse as he displayed the corpses in front of the parents and left a recording of his entire action.
When he said that Zhong Nui inherited the sin of his father and became the monster that he was born from, he had met but…he never imagined the hurt that it would leave behind. He never knew the disgusting thing Wei Jixu had done. How had Feng Mian felt when he heard those words when he had all but insisted that he would become Wei Jixu?
Shen Jiyu felt faint, if not for the tree supporting him, he might have slid to the ground. He hurried to play the scene that day slowly in his mind, his entire gaze studying every muscle on Feng Mian's face. They had been on the rooftop; Shen Jiyu was lying down while Feng Mian was reading a book. He now saw the expression of hurt and despair that flashed across Feng Mian, watched as Feng Mian's breath hitched, his eyelashes trembled slightly, and he closed his eyes for a few seconds. When he opened them again, there was just a smile on his face, no evidence of how much he had been hurt by Shen Jiyu's words.
It hurt so much, Shen Jiyu's hands trembled as he raised them against his chest, it felt like his heart was going to drip with blood.
What else had he missed? On what other occasion had his words or action hurt Feng Mian? Was it the reason Feng Mian never confided his pain or problems to him? The knots in Feng Mian's heart, just how many were caused by him?
He…
"Haldir!" A hoarse voice interrupted his line of thought. Shen Jiyu's eyes were laced with red when he looked at the teenager before him. Was he scared by his actions or his silence? Shen Jiyu closed his eyes; he could not change the past, but he could change the future at least. He was Shen Jiyu; he should be able to do this.
Basil had no desire to change the future. Even after the intense explosion had sent his soul back a few weeks before his seventeenth birthday, Basil still did not make a move to change a single thing, he rather wished that every single thing would follow the path of his previous life so he would not expend any strength. The same path that would lead to the doom of Elvina, just that this time he would be stronger, he would win the battle against the goddess. Nothing should change.
So why was he going against his plans? Haldir, it was all because of this person. When he had seen that body slumped on the floor, his heart which he believed was already cold and dead had a sudden surge. He could not understand the emotion, the worry that suddenly leaked into his heart. He did not even think over it before he had rushed to carry Haldir to the healer's room, it was only after he had been assured that it was just a power overload that he came to his senses.
Now again, it was happening again. His heart seemed to be burning with an unknown emotion, he lifted his dark eyes to the older elf who leaned against the tree, his face pale like he was going to faint. Basil particularly hated things that were beyond his control, and the emotions that the tortured and pained look brought to him were one of them.
This would not do. He can't have such an invariable.
He looked down at the purple and red flowers that were scattered around him. Nuwood, it is a plant that is used for healing and rejuvenation but when it is taken within an hour of ingesting red grapes, it would lead to death within one week. Enough time for him not to be associated with death. There was a red grape tree up ahead. His chest twisted painfully at his plan, but it made Basil's eyes even more dark.
"Haldir." He called the acolyte and stood up from where he squatted, he moved slowly towards him as he stretched out his hand. He couldn't help it, he had killed all his classmates and teachers in due time, this hypocrite of an acolyte included. He did not know he could feel that jolt of excitement again. Basil bent his head, it was as if he was divided into two parts that were at war, one part did not want to kill Haldir but rather wanted to console him but another part of him simply wanted to delight in the death of the silent contributor of his days of hell in the Elvina Academy.
"You look tired. Nuwood."
Shen Jiyu watched the slightly trembling hand and quietly took the flowers; he chewed them slowly feeling strength and warmth. He stood straight in front of Basil, his eyes extremely solemn.
"Thank you for the Nuwood. Listen to me. You are not evil. You are not an evil spawn. Because you are a dark elf does not mean you did anything bad. Our actions were wrong and terrible. I apologize on our behalf. To doom a whole race because of the action of a few is nothing but stupidity. Your skin color does not define you or your future. What people claim you are doesn't matter, only what you make of yourself."
Basil withheld the snort on his lips and clenched his cloth in order not to laugh. The same Haldir who bullied and tortured many dark elves was saying such a spiral. Like hell, he would believe him.
"I know you don't believe me. But there is no difference between the Light Elves of the Wood and the Dark Elves of the Wind. Basil, you can be anything you want to be."
Too bad what he wants to be is the doom of Elvina. He wants to sign a contract with the Demon Elf, kill enough elves to heal Elvina and summon her, devour the Demon Elf, then Devour Elvina at the height of her power. To think the first person that would cheer him on his dream would be Haldir.
Basil looked up and was taken aback. Haldir's blue eyes were so solemn and clear. He could feel it, there were no falsehoods in his words just now. Haldir had meant everything he said.
Basil frowned. By saving Haldir, did he subconsciously destroy the acolyte's brain? How troublesome.
"Sorry. I am sorry for the hurt my words or silence caused. It was never my intent. I am sorry. Forgive me."
Bright blue eyes sincerely met dark argent orbs. Basil crushed the remaining Nuwood in his hands, the purple liquid staining his finger and dripping down on the floor like tears of blood.
Basil closed his eyes, an astringent feeling in his throat. It was too late.