Arc 2.5

Blaise did not dare move. It was not as if he could outfly Haldir, he bowed his head and, in his pocket, he clenched the handle of the poisoned dagger tightly.

Seeing Basil in front of him, Shen Jiyu suddenly did not know which words he should use. He wanted to ask Feng Mian so many questions concerning his father but the person floating before him was Basil, not Feng Mian, a piece of soul not the whole.

He had so many questions but he could only get the answer when all the pieces of souls had been collected and fused. 

"I wanted to say thank you for saving me." Shen Jiyu said, "If you did not carry me to the healing room, it would have been very dangerous. Thank you."

"Saved you?" There was a little confusion in Basil's hoarse voice and he lifted his bowed head to look at Shen Jiyu. His argent eyes were piercing, unlike his submissive and defeated posture. He did not hold eye contact for up to a minute before he looked away.

Shen Jiyu sighed. Basil was so timid and nervous. Shen Jiyu tried his best to soften his voice so that he had used to take care of that skittish fox when he was much younger.

"Yes, you saved me. I am grateful. Thank you."

The boy did not speak again and just looked down.

Baby steps. Shen Jiyu told himself, "I also wanted to apologize."

"Apologize?" Basil repeated again and all of a sudden, Shen Jiyu could feel a chill run down his body. He frowned, he had been in a hurry, it was morning and the forest was really cold, he had only picked a jacket. Speaking of the weather, he looked at Basil who was opposite him.

Basil wore a faded cotton top and a trouser. His clothes looked very light, according to the information, Basil was an orphan but he was not provided for like other orphans in the tribe. Whether he eats or has clothes to wear, the elders and the priest did not care at all. 

How dare they? Shen Jiyu was angry; how could they treat Feng Mian like that? Remember how skittish the buy before him was, Shen Jiyu suppressed his anger, making sure he did not let it show. But it seems like he was not very good as Basil looked even more tense.

"Sorry about everything. I did not do my role and allowed you to be bullied by other students. I am sorry and I will make it up to you. It is cold, take." He took off his jacket and threw it to the boy. 

Basil caught the jacket and the confusion and suspicion in his eyes deepened even further as he discreetly pulled the jacket to his nose, sniffing it for any sort of dangerous herb but what filled his nose was the warm scent of pine.

"Wear it." Shen Jiyu ordered quietly and watched the boy try his best to put on the large brown coat. It was a little big on his skinny frame but it would do a good job of warming Basil up.

"Let's go." Shen Jiyu said as he flapped his wings and headed towards the school. He would first get close to him, become familiar and then gain his trust. It should not be hard. Apart from being timid, Basil was obedient. The major incidents that caused him to sign the contract with the Demon Elf should not have happened yet.

Basil watched the acolyte in charge of his class fly away. There was not a hint of emotion on his face. His eyes were still, like a pool of dead water.

He flapped his wings and followed behind him.

**

The news spread like wildfire around the school. 'The spawn of the Dark Elves came to school with Haldir' It was not just anyone, it was Haldir. To the teenagers in Elvina Academy, they did not care much about Haldir's identity as the son of the head priest, he was extremely popular because of his face.

The Elves were a naturally beautiful race but Haldir was one of the few that was a cut above the rest. At least 70% of the girls liked him and even half of the boys were his fans. His action brought a kind of dilemma to the school and many people did not know how to act towards Basil.

Haldir was the acolyte in charge of Sapphire class and Basil was in his class as well. It was good news; he could look after him better this way. Having made up his mind, Shen Jiyu watched Basil and his class like a hawk.

The main teacher was a middle-aged priest with purple wings that clashed with his yellow hair. He was a good teacher and he taught cheerfully and clearly. He focused on the board and his students, not caring why his acolyte decided to be active today.

After three hours, he faced the class of sixteen students and inquired, "Any questions?" He waited for a minute and when he did not get any response, he continued, "There would be a field test."

He ignored the groaning of his students and off handily mentioned, "When I was a student, we would be so happy to go on field tests, we would even ask the teacher to assign a field test for us."

A chubby boy in the front row murmured, "That was a hundred years ago." 

The whole class erupted in laughter and the teacher was left sputtering, he was just forty years old, did they think he was that old?

Shen Jiyu could not help but laugh and he turned to the back seat where Basil, the boy was in the class but he did not seem to be a part of the class, he bent down copying the notes on the board.

Shen Jiyu sighed; he would also teach him to have a good sense of humour. Come to think of it, whenever he invited jesters to his palace, Feng Mian would give a smile but he never laughed out loud. His eyes glittered, if he taught Basil to find such good jokes funny; when all of the souls fused together, wouldn't it be that he had taught Feng Mian as well?

The thought made him smile even more.

"You are to head to Ecuador forest and research five healing herbs and how increased and reduced dosage affect the healing rate. Break into groups of three, since I am a hundred-year-old man, I am going to lie down to rest my aching bones. Haldir, you would lead the exploration. Take them to the outskirts, let them not go deep within."

The Class laughed again and the teacher left the classroom.

"Alright, choose your partners." Shen Jiyu said and walked to the front of the class.

"Realm Master!" Xiao Shu's voice sounded in his head but he didn't need to talk because Shen Jiyu saw instantly the effect of his words.

There were five groups of three, all laughing and pulling each other in jest but at the edge of the class stood a dark-skinned youth alone like he was not a part of their word. His hair covered his face like a curtain, making people unable to see his expression.