|07|: Guilt/شرمندگی

Start from the beginning

"What'd she say?" Safa asked. No wonder Hira is a sweetheart. She never treated her with distaste. It was always a friendly environment with them. Like a friend she never knew she needed.

"She said she misses me. Truth to be told, I miss her too." Bua Ji's last words came out sad. It's been a really long time since both mother and daughter have met. Almost a year and a half. Instantly guilt overpowered her.

'Always a hindrance to people!'

An irritating voice mocked her inside. The mouthwatering aroma of the breakfast didn't help as her appetite died down. She hung her head in shame while muttering softly

"Why don't you go visit her?" Bua Ji sighed and shook her head.

"I can't leave you alone." Moisture clouded Safa's vision, but she held back and uttered

"I'll be fine. Go stay with her if you want." Bua Ji hummed, pondering over her request. Of course, she misses her daughter. But Safa is her daughter too. She can't leave her alone.

"Chalo tum abhi nashta karo."
(You do your breakfast first)

Bua Ji tore a piece of bread and took some omelette into it. Taking the morsel close to Safa's mouth, she ushered her to eat it. Salty water pooled beneath her eyes which she held back again with great difficulty. Bua Ji smiled at her and kissed her forehead.

"You slept well last night?" She asked concernedly. Safa looked deprived of sleep. Bags underneath eyes. Tired posture. Purple patches adorned her face. She looked heavily drained. Safa's hand stopped mid air as she heard her Bua Ji questioned.

'Was I being obvious?'

She asked herself. She didn't want anyone to know. She nodded her head nonetheless, trying to play it cool. Bua Ji tsked and said

"Don't lie to me. I heard you pacing." Safa winced. Of course, she would notice her light footsteps in the silence of the night.

"I was worried about the exams." The lie so casually rolled out of her tongue that she, for a moment couldn't believe it was her speaking. Wincing at her transformation, she hurriedly stood up and muttered in haste

"I'll be going now. Otherwise I'll be late." Plastering a kiss on Bua Ji's forehand, she sprinted off to save herself from misery.
~~~~~~~~~~

The last lecture rolled through and she packed her books. Today was kind of a boring day. The lectures weren't that interesting. The periods either went in revision or free. She hated that she came to the University today. She should've been able to finish her exam preparations if she hadn't so mistakenly wasted her day like that. Huffing at her fate, she walked toward the exit gate. She only moved to a tiny distance when she heard the blaring car horn. She jumped at the sudden disturbed sound. Tilting her head back, she huffed again.

Loudly this time.

The window of the car rolled down and the driver said

"Bibi please sit inside." Safa smiled at the old man. Kamal Chacha is the most humble person she met after Bua Ji and Hammad. She shook her head and said

"You know my answer Chacha. I'm sorry to bother you." Apologizing sincerely to the old man, she started walking again. She doesn't deserve to sit in that car anymore.

She lost all her.....she doesn't know what.

She hadn't had any right on his property.

She felt a light tap on her shoulder and turned around to see Kamal Chacha holding a phone toward her. Frowning she placed it on her ear and heard that familiar coarse voice say

"Get on the damn car, Phoenix."

Pursing her lips together she muttered under her breath

"Mr. Freaking Subhan Durrani."

Safa's suit

Safa's suit.
•••••••••••••

Asalamoaliukm everyone. So the story has taken a turn. Tell me your thoughts in the comments. I was supposed to update yesterday, but better late than never.

Please vote comment and share.

Till then, Allah Hafiz.