𝟎𝟐𝟕.welcome to your new normal

╔═══════════════╗

𝑺𝑰𝑳𝑬𝑵𝑻 𝑺𝑪𝑹𝑬𝑨𝑴𝑺
chapter twenty seven

═══════════════

𝘸𝘢𝘭𝘬 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘮𝘦 𝘦𝘱𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘥𝘦

THE WORLD SCARED HER.

Well the new world did. She wasn't scared of much. The tales that would normally frighten children excited her. But that was normally because she knew they weren't true. That they were works of fiction done by mad men. But these. These things were very real. They'd changed the world. Made its people dead – and made the living ever so small. Humans were a dying breed. She wasn't as scared as she could have been. Normally a thirteen year old thrown into the apocalypse would be shaking in their boots or dead but not her. No. Maddison Blake stood tall. Well as tall as her 5'4 self would.

But her life was already doomed before the fall even happened. Just eighteen months prior to the fall when the - at the time twelve year old girl - lost her mother to a tragic car accident. This took a grave toll on her family - especially her father Philip Blake who by her understanding was now being called the governor. However she always had her younger sister by two years Penny.

When the outbreak first started her alongside her father and sister barricaded themselves into an apartment with around eight or nine other survivors. After spending almost three weeks in there eventually her father took charge leading his daughters and the survivors out. After some days - which included picking up a few people along the way they discovered what looked to be an abandoned town which maddi read was called Woodbury.

After several months of rebuilding and rehabilitating the town eventually become home to Maddi along with over 70 other new residence. The young girl almost forgot about the ever growing disease of the dead until she discovered her sister fell fate to a bit from them. When her eyes locked with pennys bite she felt her heart shatter.

Her sisters death into one of the dead not only broke Maddi but some of the last actual humanity her father had. She saw it. She'd witnessed his downfall. Seen what was in his office. Witnessed how he take Penny out and brush her hair or read her stories. Pretending she was still here. Tho she wasn't scared of much the dead people outside and her fathers new persona were the only two things the girl would ever admit to being scared of. Of course she loved him dearly – he was her father after all – but seeing him become this new person worried her.

But she tried not the focus on it. She didn't want to. So she distracted herself. To take her away from her apartment in which her fathers mind went lose. But also she wanted to do her part. To help support and protect Woodbury. She wanted to be a fighter. Stand on that wall and help protect Woodbury from biters. But her father and the other men thought it be pointless. In their words "let the men handle the dirty work." So she found interest helping Dr Stevens. She was the doctor they had and was a nice woman. She allowed Maddi to help her.