06: Safeena the Matchmaker

"Noor!"

Mahnoor removed her veil just as her room door went open. Safeena all but ran in. "Noor! I'm here, I'm here."

Mahnoor smiled, clearly amused. "Did you really come here from the office because I said I was with Abdulmanan Harun earlier?"

Safeena dropped her bag on the other's bed, enthusiastically nodding. "Of course! I told Mama and Baba I'll be sleeping over because I missed you."

"You just like gulma, this girl. Get up and go to your house."

Safeena was already removing her baby blue abaya. "And miss the gist? Are you mad?"

"No." Mahnoor replied. "I'm perfectly fine. I just don't want you to sleep over."

Her phone beeped and she moved to get it but Safeena was faster. Mahnoor sighed. "It might be a client, Feena."

"Client, my foot." Safeena's eyes widened a moment later. "Omo, you even saved his name as Manan. With sunflower emoji! See wahala o."

Mahnoor walked over. "He sent a message?"

Her best friend nodded and read the message out. "I'm sorry I couldn't call earlier, something came up. I hope you got home safely." She made a face. "As I said, it's up to you. If you want us to start our sessions this week, that's okay. Have a nice night, Hidayah. My regards to your wonderful friend, Safeena. Ma'asalam."

Not smiling was a task she failed woefully and Safeena squealed. "Oh, Allah! Noor, you stole Abdulmanan Harun's heart."

Mahnoor pulled back. "Now hold on a minute."

Safeena was not listening. "Oh, this is amazing! This is the best way to end the year, Noor."

"Safeena, I have no idea what you are talking about. He is just my therapist and we're just going to be friends if he is okay with that."

"Of course he will be okay with that!" Safeena evidently was overflowing with excitement. "Come on, woman. He texted you and it's very obvious he sat down to craft out that message!"

Mahnoor stared at her best friend in disbelief and the other woman continued. "Now that I think about it, you two would make a lovely couple and I'll definitely support."

Mahnoor struggled to keep up. "You are the one in love with Abdulmanan Harun."

"But you are the one he wants to talk to." Safeena stated. "And that makes everything better. I think I should get involved. Let me send him a reply."

Mahnoor pulled her phone away from Safeena's hands. "Come and be going home."

Safeena rushed to the bed and sat before she pouted cutely. "Come on, Noor. I had a long day at work and I just really want to rest. Can't you be a good friend?"

Mahnoor scoffed. "You little witch."

"You love me anyway."

"And you should be grateful that I do." She walked over to the wardrobe and opened it. "You're really sleeping over?"

"Yep. I want to hear all about what happened with Abdulmanan. You told me you were going to reach out to him but I've been too busy to catch up on what has been going on."

"Thank God you know that you have been too busy to give me any attention."

"Sorry mana. Should I kneel down and beg?"

Mahnoor closed the wardrobe, a folded pyjama pair in hand. "That would be nice."

Safeena hissed. "It's not your fault." She then clapped once to get her thoughts back on track. "Oya, tell me what happened? What did he say? How does he act in real life?"