01: The Broken Engagement

December, 2019

Benue Crescent, Area 1, Abuja

The house was never quiet on a Saturday morning. This Saturday, however, was an exception.

Twenty year old Hadiza Audu worked silently in the kitchen, scared that any little noise she made would worsen the already suffocating silence that hung over the house like a plague over the last two days. Like everyone else, she knew who was to blame.

In the living room, Engineer Mustapha Muazu sat with his head held in his hands. He was dressed in a well sewn kaftan, ready to welcome the visitors who were due to arrive in half an hour. His eyes were shut, hiding away the fact that he hadn't slept well for two nights in a row and that he had cried more than thrice for the only daughter he had; one who was now a shadow of herself.

He was a Civil Engineer in his mid-fifties who had made a name for himself in the country and beyond its shores. He had the perfect connections with the most important people and served as a middleman most of the time between contractors and clients which earned him a lot of favours. His warm personality and alluring humble aura was what set him apart from others and pulled people in like a magnet.

His wife, Fadilah Ali-Muazu, sniffled as she descended the stairs of their beautiful home. The headtie of the Ankara print skirt and blouse she wore was held tightly in one hand and she went straight to the kitchen which caused Hadiza to quickly step away from the gas cooker where blended tomatoes, pepper and onions steamed in one pot and jollof rice cooked in another.

Fadilah handed Hadiza the headtie before speaking. "Ensure the tomatoes steam well. We do not want a repeat of the last time, Hadiza."

The younger one nodded. "Yes, Mummy."

"What did you prepare for Noor?"

"Safeena made tea for her. She said Noor was not ready to eat anything yet."

Fadilah swallowed with little difficulty. "How long ago was this?"

"It's been almost an hour. They've been awake for a while now."

Fadilah knew both ladies did not sleep and she could not blame them. She walked to the same door she had walked in from. "Take my headtie to the living room and serve Mustapha tea."

"Alright."

The stairs felt longer as she ascended. Once she was on the upper floor of the duplex they had owned for years, she went straight to her daughter's room, knocking once on the dark door before she let herself in.

Safeena Bello, her daughter's best friend, stood. "Aunt Fadilah."

Fadilah managed to smile at her before turning to her daughter who refused to turn from the position she lay on the bed. Fadilah stepped forward and softly called out. "Noor."

Mahnoor Hidayah Muazu kept facing the wall, completely ignoring her mother.

Safeena sighed and wrapped her arms around herself. "She doesn't want to turn from the wall. I've tried everything so that she could take some tea at least but..."

The bed dipped as Fadilah sat behind her daughter, not daring to touch her. She did not want a repeat of what had happened two days earlier. She could not have Mahnoor scream that way again.

"I know you probably have no appetite, Noor." She said gently "But you have to eat something. If you really want to be able to face that family, you'll have to be strong."

Safeena looked away, convincing herself she was not going to cry while Fadilah continued. "If I had my way, you would be out of this place by now but we have to end this for good, Noor, and you can't face them if you're weak. So I need you to try and eat something, okay?"