02: Abdulmanan Abubakar Harun

November, 2020

Abuja, Nigeria

She slept through Fajr because her monthly visitor had given her a rough night's sleep with the cramp she dealt with every other month. As someone diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) back in 2017, Mahnoor's cramps could be excruciating.

Fadilah, who stayed with her late into the night, told Mustapha and Hadiza to allow her sleep until Safeena arrived as both women had a programme to attend by 11AM.

Hadiza began preparing breakfast at 6:45 when she finished the task of cleaning the living room, the dining room and the kitchen. When everyone else was out later in the day, she would proceed to clean every other part of the house as it was a Saturday tradition. She did not mind the fact that there were so many places to clean because she loved doing it. Also, ever since the Muazus took her in as their second daughter, they took very good care of her and treated her just the way they treated Mahnoor.

She – Hadiza – was thrown out of her childhood home on a cold evening in 2012 by her biological mother on the request of the drunkard who filled the spot of her late father. She was the only child and her mother had been brainwashed by the new man in her life that Hadiza was nothing but bad luck. Being one who believed in everything superstitious, her mother threw her out without thinking twice.

They lived in Jattu that year and Hadiza had stayed on the road where Fadilah, who had been visiting Odion and Omoh, found her. Fadilah had been kind and she took Hadiza back with her to their "village house" at Aviele, on the street after the popular Yak Hotel; a house that Mustapha built on the land his father gave him with Fadilah's support every step of the way.

Mahnoor had been so happy to see Hadiza although she knew nothing about the other girl and as they talked, both girls realized that Noor was three years older. Fadilah and Mustapha never made her feel inferior and she was the one who asked if she could follow them back to Abuja to help them around the house. All she wanted in return was a place to sleep and sponsorship to complete her education. Being the nice people they were, they did not say no.

They gave her the room beside the stairs at their home in Abuja and it took her a while to drop all the formalities and embrace everything they offered as the perfect family she never really enjoyed back in Jattu. She never crossed her limits and she was always grateful because they gave her everything she had wanted and so much more.

~*~

"Hadiza."

She turned around to face Fadilah who walked into the kitchen. "Yes Mummy?"

Fadilah opened one of the wall shelves and brought out a pack of flavoured tea. She closed the shelf before facing the younger one. "Mustapha and I will be going for a wedding by 12. You already know that Safeena and Noor will be out by 11 so you don't have to prepare lunch for us. Just find yourself something to eat."

"Alright."

"Or do you want to come with us to the wedding? Did you change your mind?"

Hadiza shook her head. "No, don't worry about me. I have some assignments that I need to complete so that I can submit them on Monday morning."

Fadilah helped herself with a cup of hot water. "Ah, that's true. School has really resumed. All of you have been home for a long time so I tend to forget even though you did online classes"

Hadiza nodded with a smile. "That's true. The Covid break was long."

Fadilah sighed. "Very well. Have fun. Please hurry up with Mustapha's food before he'll nag me again." She shook her head and picked the cup of tea. "That man is eating too much these days. Abi should I deworm him?"