Chapter Nineteen: Peppermint Tea

She strapped the car seat carefully and kissed Haruna's forehead. Giving Sarada a thumbs up as well, Hinata closed the car door and resumed her task of putting her things into the trunk.

"This feels oddly familiar." Sasuke grabbed her suitcase and bags, stuffing them inside the car without much trouble.

"Hm, I can't say that I haven't seen this play out before." She crossed her arms and smiled as he continued packing the trunk as best as he could to accommodate more of her things.

"I'm glad that you decided to come back with me, I don't know what I would have done if you said 'no'." He finally closed the trunk of the SUV.

"I made a promise to help you take care of the children, didn't I?" She shook her head and leaned against the car. "I won't let them feel the emptiness of the house since Sakura decided to move out. Besides, you've been crashing at my place for nearly a month and you wouldn't have left unless I agreed."

"You live pretty close to my office."

Hinata rolled her eyes, "we both know that you didn't stay because I'm closer to where you work. You yourself can't stand living in the same house as your ex-wife since that would make everything still feel fresh. Perhaps I'm more happy that you've spent the time healing rather than forcing yourself to get over it."

"That wouldn't have been possible had you not, one again, stepped in and taken care of them while I wallowed around the house."

"Whatever you say, Mister Uchiha. Let's get these kids home before it starts raining." She opened the passenger door and sat inside.

"Do we stop for groceries before we get home?" Sasuke asked, backing out of his parking spot and merging into the oncoming traffic. "I hope someone doesn't want to make gyoza again." He glanced at Sarada through the rear view mirror to see her give him a grin.

"Today, I don't want gyoza. I want to bake some cookies." She perked up.

"I thought you hated sweets?" Hinata turned around and gave her a suspicious look. "What happened to the little girl who disliked sweet things with a passion much like her father?"

"Your cinnamon roll eating has rubbed off on her." Sasuke muttered, "I thought you were lying about your unhealthy obsession with the dessert."

"Cinnamon rolls are nice." Sarada interrupted Hinata before she could defend herself. "Maybe sweets aren't so bad."

Ignoring Sasuke's light jab at her favourite food, Hinata smiled at Sarada's words. "We can make some cookies but that doesn't change the fact that I have to make something for lunch and dinner that isn't sugar filled." Hinata thought for a moment, "would you both be up for some stew?"

"That sounds nice." She nodded, "does daddy want to help Hina make the cookies and stew too?"

"Who will watch your sister?" Sasuke tried to not get himself involved with their plans. He did not want to stand in the kitchen while they talked and fooled around.

"She can sit in her chair-swing and watch us, right, Haruna?" Sarada reached for her sister's hand and giggled as her fingers were pulled. "She told me she would like that a lot."

"Did she really?" Sasuke shook his head.

"She really did."

"Do we need anything from the store before we head home?" He asked as they approached the street where the grocery store was.

The more they talked as he drove, he couldn't help but think back to the day where they did the same thing. Back then, Hinata was only coming along to live with them for a short time but today, she was going to be with them for a while. Possibly forever.