Bonus Chapter 27.1: Abormal Coldness

Start from the beginning

"Maybe we can squeeze it out of him when he comes. I give the tightest hugs!" Danny offered excitedly and, while Aaron agreed that Danny's hugs were like being constricted by a snake, he didn't think it would be the best solution. He let out a sigh as he sat back into the sofa, swirling the contents of his cup mindlessly.

"Who's to say he'll even show up? He didn't show up to the last one." Aaron muttered as he surveyed the crowd of teenagers around them dancing and a small silence fell.

Even if Danny didn't notice that Justin was acting off, he had most likely been disheartened by Justin's absence as well. It was something that Aaron noticed as Danny would never be sat down at a party. He would always be the first one dancing, most likely on a table. He never was one to sit and, perhaps, it was because he too felt a certain sense of shift within Justin.

"Look, there!"

Aaron turned at Danny's booming words, looking to the door just as Justin walked in, taking out his earphones.

He didn't even survey the room nor look in their direction as he walked towards the kitchen and Aaron wasted no time in getting up to follow in his direction. He could hear Danny's heavy footsteps behind him as they walked through to kitchen where Justin was pouring himself a drink.

"Yo, how you been?!" Danny was the first to talk as he waltzed in, making Justin look up and he nodded in acknowledgment.

"Good." Was all he said and then he was taking his cup with him as he walked out of the kitchen. Now, he was always one for short, clipped answers, but this was different; Aaron could tell. His words were dismissive, haste as though he wanted to leave, but Aaron wouldn't be one to relent.

He moved forward hurriedly, following right after Justin as he made his way to the lounge, towards his seat where he would often sit and survey the party around him.

"Justin." Aaron called out and Justin stopped in his tracks, looking back with his peripheral, eyes a dead grey.

"What?" He said bluntly and Aaron moved closer at this until they were within talking distance at the loud party.

"How have you really been?" He asked curiously, the concern evident in his tone, but Justin showed nothing in his expression, sporting the same blank face as usual. It was generally a face that Aaron could read, despite it being blank, but not today.

"I said good, didn't I?" Justin answered bluntly before turning back to move and Aaron moved forward, his words tumbling put before he could control it.

"Did I do something?" He asked and it was then that he saw the only notable emotion in Justin as he stiffened before he turned around.

"No." Was all he said, but it was strong enough for Aaron to know that he meant it.

"Then what? Tell me." Aaron spoke and Justin only sighed, turning around to finally look at him fully.

"It really is nothing. The exam weeks were just tiring." He explained and Aaron shook his head in response.

"I've known you for nearly 10 years: you've never been like this during the assessments. You've got something on your mind." He spoke firmly and with conviction to which Justin shook head, another tired sigh leaving his mouth.

"Well, perhaps this time, I found the topics for the exams more difficult." He suggested weakly and Aaron bit his tongue to mention that no topic was difficult for Justin. He was an A* student, through and through.

"Then why have you been avoiding me? Even in the cafeteria, you didn't come." Aaron asked, trying to gauge Justin's reactions, but he gave none, only lifted his cup to his lips.