16- I Crossed a Fine Line

Start from the beginning

Sighing I shut my computer and walked away from it. As I walked into my room I noticed just how silent the house was when you were home alone.

A few of the windows were open so you could hear the waves and some people talking down the street.

Phelps was snoring heavily on the rug, but other than that it was dead silent.

Once in my room I grabbed my bag full of everything I would need for work. Including sun screen, it was no wonder Nora was so tan. When you spent your days outside working and surfing the sun really did get to you.

I walked out my room and looked at Nora's bedroom door, hesitating as I stood there.

I'd grown pretty familiar with the house, been in every room. Even upstairs in Mike and Joanne room to grab extra towels.

But I had yet to enter Nora's room, the door was always closed except for the small inch that was cracked open.

I shook my head, almost telling myself no and walked out the front door.

There was obviously a reason Nora didn't want me in her room, I wasnt going to enter it without permission... it wasn't my place to do so.

I had gained her trust, enough for her to act like herself around me. I was about to break by signing up for the brookies (not that she needed to know about that) so I didn't want to hurt our trust anymore by going where I obviously wasn't invited.

I walked down the hot sidewalk, squinting because I forgot my sun glasses on the counter.

Getting closer to the boat I felt a knot grow in my chest as a figure with red hair leaned over the deck railing.

She smirked at me as I got closer, she was wearing nothing but a small bikini. It definitely didn't have the same effect as Nora's did, even though the cut was practically the same.

"Hey cutie." She said as I made my way onto the deck "my parents are just putting you to work huh."

I nodded my head in reply as I walked into the cabin of the boat to locate the line I had to replace.

Kia followed closely behind me before leaning on the door, making it very evident she was trying to show off her body.

"What's wrong this time?" She asked trying to start a conversation.

I was nervous to reply, open that can of worms. Maybe I shouldn't be a brookie.

But I can be apart of Brookers academy and not hang out with the brookies.

"You have a bad steering line." I explained opening the panel to look at it.

"Yikes." Was all she said before making her way through the cabin.

As she walked she pulled her hair up into a bun.

"I heard your girlfriend is working a gas shift today." Kia said referring to Nora

"Not my girlfriend." Was all said in reply as I pulled out the busted line.

"Good." Kia said while sitting down in the captains chair and placing her feet up.

"She isn't good at relationships, at least that's what Josh says."

Kia reached forward and grabbed a bag of Almonds.

God this Josh dude just kept coming up. I'd never met him, but I figured some stuff about him out.

He and Nora definitely had been in a relationship, one that apparently didn't end well.

Or didn't go well from the start, I'm not sure. To say the least I was curious about him.

I began to snake the new line into the panel to replace the old line and Kia watched me intently.

"I saw you surfing out passed the break the other day, you looked good."

"Thanks." I said slightly out of breath as I was struggling to get the new line in.

"Brookies would love to have you." She said in a sing song voice.

I turned away from the panel and looked at Kia.

God I had to, they were going to help me, I had to do it.

"Actually, I was wondering if you could set up a try out for me. You know something low key." I explained

Kias face broke out into a smile and she pulled out her phone.

"Why so you're friends don't find out?" She asked with a small chuckled behind her voice

I shook my head yes, and she did the same in almost a mocking way.

"Of course, here put in your number so I can text you what day and time it will be."

Kia handed me her phone and I put in my number.

"Thanks."

Kia bite her lower lip and looked out the cabin window.

"No problem." Was all she said

There wasn't much else to say so I stood up and collected my equipment.

I let out a heavy sigh as I walked away from the boat. The damage was done, I couldn't go back.

But when Nora and everyone else found out. I would only have a few months left here anyways right.

I could make it.

Words: 1318