₂₁

The plan to sit Aegon on the Iron Throne is going well, by all accounts except for the whereabouts of the future king. Otto makes it known to the Lords and Ladies of the realm, that they must bend the knee to Aegon, even if they previously swore an oath to Rhaenyra. No one is allowed to leave until they show their loyalty, and those who refuse are dealt with promptly.

One Lord attempts to play along and then escape to warn the princess, but he's caught by the Kingsguard.

Even Ser Erryk finds himself questioning his loyalty as he goes around the city and sees Aegon's doings. He sees what a monster the boy is. Bastards flying about the fighting pits. Servants raped and then paid off by the queen. His own wife ignored and used only for her cunt, even if the one he much prefers belongs to his older sister.

Aegon is not fit to be king. He doesn't think so, and Aemond certainly doesn't think so either.

And while Vaemyra sits in the walls of the Red Keep, practically bored out of her mind, she's still motivated by her destiny. Her destiny to sit the Iron Throne, even if it came at a cost. Even if it came at the cost of the only child she could ever have.

The princess still has not seen the unborn babe. It still lies within the dragon pit, where its scales make it seem like it's at home.

Her mind is out of focus, dull, and empty. She pays no attention to her surroundings and stares off into the distance, only snapping back to reality as the queen holds her hand. Vaemyra's eyes blink a few times before she realizes where she is.

Standing in front of her father's corpse, wrapped up in fabric and ready for a funeral and taken care of by the Silent Sisters.

" I know that the Stranger has paid you a visit before... but losing your father..." Alicent trails.

" Yes... quite tragic," Vaemyra surmises as her eyes remain locked on the corpse.

Her eyes produce a single tear, even if she feels no sadness. Even if she feels no guilt. Even if she feels no loss, for both of the lives she lost within the cover of night.

Vaemyra and Alicent soon depart from the former king and head out into the hall where the queen grabs the princess's hand once more.

" If you don't mind, I would like you to accompany me to Rhaenys's chambers," Alicent suggests, " Perhaps seeing you back Aegon will guide her to our side."

The princess forces herself to smile as she nods, though it instantly drops as they walk into the room in which her cousin had been locked up.

" I will do you the considerable courtesy of assuming there is a good reason for the outrage of my treatment here this morning," Rhaenys utters as she stands strong before the queen.

" My sincerest regrets for the lack of ceremony," Alicent starts.

But it doesn't take long for Rhaenys to figure out the events that transpired just hours ago.

" The King," She states, then gets a nod of confirmation, " And you are usurping the throne."

" It was my husband's dying wish," Alicent adds, to which the elder princess scoffs, " Believe it or not, it is of no consequence. Aegon will be king. I came here to ask for your support."

" Well, I must credit you for your boldness."

" House Velaryon has long allied itself with the Princess Rhaenyra, and what has it gained you? Your daughter dead, alone in Pentos. Your son cuckolded. Rhaenyra's heirs are none of yours. It is your husband who grasps so heedlessly to the throne. And even he has abandoned you: gone these six long years to fight a desperate battle, returning grievously, if not, mortally wounded, leaving the Lady of Driftmark to chart her course alone."