The Great Burning

Jasper POV

She lay beside me, innocent and oblivious, unaware of the horrors of my past. It definitely wasn't anything I was comfortable talking about but she had to know. She needed to know my story, the reason I was a monster.

I so desperately needed her to understand what she was committing herself to. Before we took that leap of faith and fell head over heels, madly, completely and irrevocably in love with each other.

Her fingertips danced across my bare chest, pulling me from my thoughts and reminding me that I was, indeed, only half-dressed.

A light shiver broke out across my body at the feel of her silken skin, her feather-light touch stirring unfamiliar emotions within me.

It felt nice, to be within her warmth and peace. To finally be free, weightless. As nice as it felt, I still had a tightness in my chest, the scars on my body further proof of what I'd become. Further reasons why I didn't want to get her involved in my past. But, if we were going to work, she needed to know me--- the real me.

Sighing, I curled myself around her and pulled the comforter snug around us as she nestled her head against my chest. My fingers stroked up and down her arms, goose bumps telling me just exactly how I affected her. I loved it, her reactions towards me, knowing what I did to her body.

"I need to finish my story, Alice. It's nothing I'm comfortable talking about, but I just thought you should know what made me what I am." She nodded against my chest, golden eyes innocent as they searched my face. With an almost inaudible sigh, she rested her palm flat against my chest where my heart had long-since ceased to beat. Our keen, vampire ears were met only with the silence of the immortal.

"I pulled my hat from my head and bowed, as any gentleman of that time would have done, as they murmured quietly amongst themselves. The apparent leader was tall and curvaceous, dark eyes following my every move as I walked closer. Caramel skin shone in the moonlight and a black mane rolled down her back to her waist. She was a definite contrast to her pale, blonde-haired counterparts, who were slim and petite, though supernaturally beautiful and graceful all the same. They were like nothing I'd ever seen before, a novelty."

I could feel her grow tense in my arms, her needless breath hitched when I spoke of them. Tightening my arms around her, I tucked my finger under her chin and prompted her face up towards mine. Flashing a smirk, my face was inches from hers in a matter of milliseconds as she quietly gasped. "You, my little Alice, are all kinds of sexy when you're jealous."

With a low growl, I found her lips as our tongues collided, dancing in a desperate frenzy. Her fingers tangled into my hair as I scooped her into my arms and wrapped her legs around my torso. I couldn't get enough of this woman--- and we'd only known each other barely a day!

"I am not jealous, Jasper William Whitlock!" Her voice was a growl, though muffled by my chest, as she glared up at me. Hearing that husky growl of hers and knowing that she already had a possessive power over me, heightened my need for her, nearly driving me to the point of doing some very ungentlemanly things.

"Don't you have a story you should be telling?" She giggled, the sound light and airy, as I gazed down at her with a raised brow. Nodding, I swept my hand lightly through her hair before continuing with a sigh.

"The leader, Maria, was whispering quietly to the smaller blonde, Nettie. She caught my eye, slowly moving out of the shadows. My eyes were drawn to her, never leaving her face. Then, she spoke, her voice high and bell-like. 'What is your name, soldier?' Nodding respectively, I swept into a bow and addressed them. 'Major Jasper Whitlock, ma'am.' She leaned forward, lips full and puckered, eyes the deepest, darkest glowing burgundy. She wrapped her arms around my neck and drew my face towards hers. I thought she meant to kiss me. But then her lips met at my throat, teasing the flesh there, and her teeth pierced my skin. She bit me, giving me the kiss of an immortal."

"Fire crawled up my throat, burning me slowly from the inside out. Maria only smirked, watching in apparent pleasure, as I sank onto my knees. I had no clue what was going on, only that I wished for death if only to escape the never-ending torture."

She inhaled sharply, a gasp of horror almost, as I gently smiled down at her. "I don't have to tell you, darlin'. I just figured you ought to know."

She took a deep, steady breath before resting her head on my shoulder, innocent doe eyes never leaving mine. "I wanna know," she whispered, fingers tightening around mine, as I nodded curtly and continued.

~000~

"I woke up and found my throat ablaze, bloodlust roaring within me. I needed blood and I needed it then.

Maria seemed pleased that I'd had a relatively easy transformation and with promises of hunting the next day led me to her bed."

Her eyes narrowed, almost obsidian black, as a low growl rumbled in her chest. "Mine!"