17 - Distractions (Naomi)

Start from the beginning

They were more lucrative than sessions at the training center, but she could only find and do so much. With Greg giving her the cold shoulder, she'd have to learn about investing and money, not that she had much left after her bills and the mortgage payments. She and Shivanna were saving up to redo the shingles, but Shivanna had all the luck work-wise. Being a salaried high school art teacher with a few side hustles helped. Unfortunately, the government didn't need kids to know how to train dogs, so Naomi was stuck in her lane.

"Brinny's the only new one this month."

"More will come."

Naomi's phone buzzed in her pocket for too long for it to be a text. Upon glimpsing the name on the screen, she smiled, and Shivanna chuckled.

"Ask for a vegetarian one this time," Shivanna said.

Naomi poked out her tongue and answered the call. "Hey, Kier," she teased.

"Not going to lie. That made me cringe."

It was interesting that he hated that nickname. Was it because she had said it and not Brinny, or had he never told Brinny he disliked it? "Sorry, everything alright?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to hear your voice."

Naomi laughed and fought her urge to swoon. "You heard it all evening."

"It's not the same with Brinny there. Not that you weren't awesome. Shivanna was right. You are a dog whisperer."

Naomi smiled and left for her bedroom to avoid her friend's teasing stare. "I do what I can."

"You were the highlight of my night."

"Thanks. It was a tie between you and Rusty. He's pretty adorable."

Kieran chuckled. "I'll take that as a compliment. How are you holding up?"

She shut the door and lay on her queen-sized bed. Tiredness settled into her bones. When she was out or focused on work, she pretended nothing had changed, but this house triggered her. The last text from Greg was about coming over before their break-up on the living room couch. When she read it, it was like she was in some weird alternate reality where it would erase their fight and she'd get a do-over, even though that was false. She had to tuck everything with Greg away like that photo in the cabinet.

"I'm fine, I think."

"You don't have to be. As much as I love seeing you happy, it's difficult to lose a future you dreamed of. It's okay to grieve for it."

Naomi stared at her the glossy red fabric of her jersey hanging on the outside of her closet. Game night had gone from the best to the worst day of the week. "I have a softball game tomorrow, and he's on the team. We haven't spoken since last week."

"Bail?"

She'd considered it, but she would fixate on the game and what her teammates, Greg included, were thinking if she skipped.

"I have other friends there, too. Marc's good at being neutral. Greg's pissed off Ian, our main pitcher and his ex's younger brother, so Ian will have my back. I don't want to let them down." Imagining joking around with those two softened her nerves.

"Did I meet Marc at the party?"

"He's got dark hair, and he lives with Greg."

"The nice one."

"He is a sweetheart."

"Bet you wish you'd been into him."

Despite his kindness, Marc treated her the same as any other friend, whereas Greg had spent extra time with her, noticed what she liked, and made her feel special. That attention helped trigger her romantic feelings for Greg and her exes. Without it, friendship was a satisfying option.