6 - Military Service

Mulai dari awal

Yunan listened attentively, his expression filled with understanding and compassion.

"Sorry for making you listen to my worries..." Esra added with a hint of apology. "I wonder why, though. I feel like I can talk to you about anything..."

Yunan's smile was warm and reassuring. "Is that so?" he replied, his voice filled with sincerity. Esra returned his smile, her eyes shining with gratitude.

Esra's expression grew more serious, her gaze locking onto Yunan's. "Because of that, Yunan, I have a favor to ask... If something ever happens to me... I want you to be the one to guide them, please."

Yunan was momentarily rendered speechless, his eyes widening in shock. "But..." he began, concern etched on his face.

"A traveler like you would be full of human experiences, unlike me!" Esra exclaimed, her voice laced with a hint of playfulness. "If his mother said something, he'll just think it's weird~!!" She laughed, waving her hand lightly as if dismissing any objections.

Yunan composed himself, a small smile gracing his features. "If you say so, I'd be happy to..." he responded, bowing his head respectfully. A sense of relief washed over Esra as she observed Yunan's willingness to support her son.

Just then, Reana stirred from her slumber and took a seat beside Yunan, two bowls of soup in her hands. "Morning," she greeted, her voice still tinged with sleepiness, as she handed one of the bowls to Esra. The girl tasted the soup, her expression turning into a playful grumble, "I told him to stop trying to cook. It has no taste... what a waste." 

 Yunan let out a chuckle at Reana's commentary. "Well, I have to admit it's true," he chimed in. Esra let out a small giggle, and Reana joined in their laugher, unable to maintain her fake displeasure.

"Well, I guess I should have woken up earlier," she admitted, a hint of self-mockery lacing her words.

The three of them sat there, bathed in the gentle glow of the morning sunlight. The room was alive with their laughter.

However, their laughter was abruptly interrupted by the sudden entrance of a woman from the village. Her frantic arrival cast a shadow over the room, her face contorted with panic. The atmosphere instantly shifted, and a hushed silence settled over the occupants.

"Trouble-!! There's trouble, Esra!! Sinbad is...!!" the woman blurted out, her words catching in her throat as she struggled to convey the urgency of the situation. The air thickened with tension, and time seemed to slow as the weight of her words hung heavily in the air.

----

In the village square, Sinbad was being held down on the ground by two soldiers, their halberds pressing against his neck with menacing force. Before them stood a young man with green hair, clad in gleaming armor, his sword pointed toward Sinbad with a haughty expression.

"I am the western region military commander, Dragul. I'll only say it once more... Sinbad of Tison village... you have received an official draft notice from the army. In three days, finish your preparations and enlist. Anything longer than that, and we'll come for you... Understood?" Dragul's voice dripped with authority and a cold indifference.

Sinbad, despite the dire situation, refused to back down. His determination blazed in his eyes as he mustered the strength to lift his face from the ground. "And if I said no?" he challenged, his voice filled with defiance.

With disdain etched on his face, Dragul looked down at Sinbad, delivering a vicious kick to his face. "Someone like you doesn't have the standing to refuse... This is a formal order from the military!" he sneered.