2 - Stories and name

Sinbad was lying in his bed, his mind wandering as he struggled to fall asleep. The girl who he had found earlier that day was on the bed he had made for her in the corner of the room. Even though he knew so little about her, he wanted to help her as much as he could.

Suddenly, he heard a muffled sound. He sat up, wondering what it could be. He stood still for a moment, listening, and then heard it again. It was coming from the girl's direction.

He got up and made his way to her, sitting down next to her on the bed. She was curled up into a ball, her shoulders shaking as she tried to hold back her tears. He placed a hand on her back, offering her comfort.

"It's okay," he whispered softly, "you are safe here, we are here for you."

She lifted her head, her eyes red and puffy from crying. She looked at him with an expression of pain and confusion, and then buried her face in his chest, crying even harder.

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close as she cried. He could feel her shaking against him, and it broke his heart to see her in so much pain.

He knew he needed to do something to distract her, to help her forget her pain, even if just for a little while. As he held her, he began to talk to her:

"You know, you're not the first person we shelter here. Nine years ago, I found a man near the well of the village. His name was Darius. You won't believe me, but he had yellow hair !"

The girl looked up at him with wide, tearful eyes. As Sinbad had led her in his village, all the people she could see had dark hair, mostly black and brown. Sinbad was already an exception himself.

"As he stayed here, he told me stories about the outside world, that was awesome!" Sinbad beamed. "Do you want to hear them?"

She nodded eagerly, staring at him, her eyes filled with awe. Sinbad grinned and began to narrate some of Darius' stories, gesturing and acting out the characters to make her laugh.

As he spoke, he could feel the girl's mood lifting, her sobs becoming quieter and less frequent. After some stories, she was even giggling and smiling, something Sinbad had not seen since he had found her earlier that day.

"You know, those are just stories. The real adventures are out there, waiting for us to travel the world and find them!" Sinbad told her, his eyes shining.

"Us ?" the girl's face lit up with excitement, but then she lowered her head. "I... How can I come with you?" she asked, "I don't even know my own name... I don't know who I am... Someone like me doesn't belong anywhere..."

Sinbad gently grabbed her shoulders and locked eyes with her. "You just have to choose a name for yourself" he said. "And I think someone like you precisely belongs wherever he wants."

The girl was surprised by his suggestion, but Sinbad was determined to help her. "The only names I know are yours and your mother's" she said quietly, her gaze fixed on her hands.

Sinbad grinned and said, "Well then, would you be okay with me finding a name for you?"

Tears welled up in the girl's eyes as she nodded gratefully. Sinbad wrapped his arms around her once again, holding her tightly. "Don't worry" he whispered. "You're not alone anymore."

The girl soon fell asleep in Sinbad's arms, and he lay down beside her, watching over her as she slept. He noticed since the first time he saw her that her waves where different. They were slow and calming, it felt like he was cradled by them. He eventually dozed off while searching for a name.

----

The rays of sunshine peeking through the window blinds slowly pulled the girl out of her slumber. She blinked a few times, still disoriented from the deep sleep she had just had. As she turned to her side, she was surprised to see Sinbad staring at her with a warm smile on his face.

"Good morning... Reana" he said, his voice soft and gentle.

A/N: Second chapter ! Shorter than the previous one, but I know that I'm bad at making long chapters, so I think I'll just make a lot of chapters around this length ^^
Hope you'll like it !