Chapter Twenty-Two

Leron King

I looked at our angel as he held onto my pinky finger; His little hand barely fit around it. That's all I'd been doing all week. Just watching him.

Seeing all those wires attached to him broke me.

"I'm sorry lil man." I started. "Youn deserve this. But you tough, ight? You got this."

My throat got tight.

"Cuzzy gon spoil you real bad once you get out of here. Gon be the first baby with a little tikes Hellcat, fuckizyoutammat."

I took a deep breath, "I hope Rome was right about ya daddy. You deserve to meet him and he deserve to meet you... be part of your life."

Janet Parker

I shakily put the note in my wallet.

I was about to leave to visit Ti and her baby in the hospital. We got word that that baby had some complications so I made an effort to go see her.

I got my things together and walked downstairs.

"I'm finna go see Ti."

"Come hea'." J said patting his lap.

I followed his instructions and sat down before he pulled my chin to kiss his lips.

I was disgusted but I did not show it.

I knew what he was about when I got involved with him.

I knew he was a drug dealer. I knew he was a killer. I knew he had goons and unmarked guns. Hell, I even knew he would cheat. I knew it all.

I just never expected him to do his friend... his brother... the way he did Ken.

But being with him all these years helped me with my poker face. I knew I couldn't act off.

"I got Tiana some flowers. You don't mind right? I just feel bad for the baby." He said with sincerity.

Shocking.

"Of course not. I was finna get her some on the way there anyway." I answered truthfully.

"Ight." He said. "You know I love you right?"

"Yeah I know." I said forcing a smile and rubbing the back of his head.

"I know I be actin up and fuckin around on you, but you have my heart. And I take you for granted sometimes." He started. "Imma do better by you. Seeing Ti and her baby in this situation snapped me back to reality. Ken not even here no more for her-"

That statement made me black out. I didn't hear anything he said after that. How dare he? My stomach started twisting and my throat had a knot in it.

I checked my phone as an excuse to go.

"Oh shit! I told her I'd be there at three, I gotta go."

I rushed out of the house into my and pulled off. As soon as I turned out of the driveway I broke down.

He's a monster.

Tiana King

"I got you some wings, baby."

"I'm not hungry, mommy."

She looked at me with hurt in her eyes, "You gotta eat." She whispered.

"I will... just not right now."

Leron walked out of the NICU, "He's all yours." He smiled at my mommy.

After he explained everything to me, I was in shock. Ken might still be here. I felt like I was in a dream, but I was also skeptical. It was eating me alive.

Once I was able to see my son, I apologized to Leron about the way I acted. Things were still a bit tense between us, but I couldn't not let him see my baby.

He came and sat next to me.

"What y'all talk about?" I asked him.

"The economy and shit."

We chuckled.

We sat in silence for a while.

"You think he's here for real?" I asked in a whisper.

He paused, "I hope so."

We heard a knock then saw Janet walk in.

My heart raced a little but I quickly calmed down.

"Hey, girl. How you feeling?" She asked.

I shrugged, "Thuggin."

"I have something for you."

"I can see!" I said with enthusiasm looking at the flowers, "They're beautiful, thank you."

"Something else... What time do you guys go home?"

"I was gonna leave after mommy was done. Why?"

She insisted on waiting until we got back to the house so I obliged.

•••

She handed me a note as soon as we got situated on the couch.

My heart pounded while reading it and I started tearing up.

"He's alive." I cried.

"Ken, the back side is for you." Janet said before she explained what happened while Ken read his note.

"Can you take me to him?" I begged.

"Are you crazy?" Leron shouted.

"That's not a good idea, Ti. I only went cause I thought I was finna beat a bitch ass."

I cried some more.

"We gon get him home, Ti." Ron started. "I promise."