34.

Chapter thirty four | Amara | five years ago
Tears, sobs, pain, numbness, sleepless nights, the cycle repeated for god knows how long, my phone rings again and I ignore it.

My brother's name flashes over the screen, pain shoots through my stomach and I blink away the tears forming in my eyes, "You still miss him, hmm?" His voice makes my stomach roils.

Luca strolls into the room, a smug smile on his face, "I told you, babe, there's no way out, you should've just chosen me from the beginning." He raises his wine glass in cheers and I glare, rage running through my veins.

The night that's causing all this pain is clear in my mind, I recall it every night before sleeping, I rest my head back, returning to the point that ruined my whole life.

"What did you do to him?" I yell, my voice cracking from all the earlier crying, hours ago, Luca found out about our relationship, and he took Ezekiel away, I know he's hurting him, I can feel it in my fucking bones.

He turns, his whole posture rigid, tense muscles and a snarl spreads on his face, making him uglier, scarier, I shiver but I hold my head high as he approaches me,

Even as fear spreads through my bones, "I made him choose, babe, I told him either he fights for you or leave, he chose the latter." My heart drops, and tears instantly well in my eyes as he flashes his iPad screen in my face, sure enough, I see Ezekiel leaving whatever place he was keeping him in.

Leaving so far away,

I can hear my heart cracking in my chest as I continue watching, Luca's rough finger makes contact with my cheek and I lightly flinch, disgusted by his touch, he caresses my face and my stomach dims.

I take a step back, "I won't be yours just because he left." I force out even as my voice breaks, agony is clear through the words, he smiles wickedly, looking almost challenging, "Oh, Amara, the stupid thing is that you think you have a choice." He says quietly.

His eyes glistening with hunger, fuck, my fists clench by my side and the moment he smashes his lips on mine I punch his stomach, it's easy to make him back up, he groans painfully, then reaches out for my hair and tug it around his hand roughly.

I whine, pain shooting through my scalp, but the pain burning through my heart is much stronger, he didn't choose me, stupid Amara, so fucking stupid to think that he'd fight for me as he said.

"I hate you." I groan between sobs, hiccuping as the pain continues growing, "The feeling is mutual, doesn't mean that I won't appreciate impregnating you." Fucking disgusting, I squirm out of his hold, punching with all the force I have.

"Sure, go ahead and rape me, still, at the end of the day, you'll sleep on the bed knowing that I'll never want to be with you willingly, I'll always choose him, even if he didn't, you'll never be the one on my mind, so go ahead and take what you want, I would never carry your fucking children willingly, I'd rather carry Ezekiel's, the man I love, you'll never be that man." I snarl, anger lacing my words like a second skin.

Sobs rise at the back of my throat and I hold back my tears, agony and despair run through my body, and anger morphs into his features, "You'll regret ever saying that, Amara." He promises and leaves, throwing the door behind him with a thud.

It takes me a beat to absorb everything that happened, I drop on the bed, my limbs weakening, he didn't choose me, the sentence keeps repeating in my mind rapidly it hurts.

He didn't choose me.

༺❁༻

I don't even realize what's happening until my eyes blink open, that's weird, I don't remember sleeping, my eyes flit around taking in my surroundings, fuck.