10.

Chapter ten | Ezekiel
A haunted scream.
That's exactly what I wake up to as my eyes snap open, last night, I slept on the couch due to Amara's wishes.

So I have to walk around a bit to reach her, my heart beating erratically in my chest, I finally reach the room, she's squirming uncomfortably on the bed, twisting the sheets in her hand harshly, a layer of sweat glides across her forehead.

Brows furrowed in distress, expression pained, my chest clenches and I approach her quickly, brushing my hands across her shoulder lightly to wake her up, "Amara." I whisper, for a couple of times before her eyes finally snap open.

She blinks a couple of times as she sits up, breathing out quickly as her eyes flit up to me and then back towards her hands, she struggles a bit to form her words and I caress her shoulder softly.

"It's okay, you're okay, Amara, I'm right here." I comfort her, my chest tightening to the point of pain, she pushes my hand off her, and my heart swells with pain but I ignore it as I continue watching her carefully.

She'll push any help I offer her away, even if deep down she wants me close, I know better than to leave her, not again, never again.

She swallows hard, her throat bobbing with the motion itself, her eyes lost somewhere through her memories, "You're okay." I repeat, her eyes find mine slowly, she slightly nods, and then over again, trying to convince herself.

My fingers ache to touch her, pull her to me, but she clearly doesn't want me to, "What was it?" I find myself asking, to bring her back to life maybe, her muscles tense and she straightens her shirt.

"Talk to me, darling," I whisper and her expression softens,

"It didn't feel like a nightmare, just a memory." She chokes out, her voice cracking, my jaw hardens and I have a feeling that I know exactly what she dreamt of, and it fucking kills me.

Seeing her like this, "Do you want me to stay?" I ask gently, pushing her hair out of her face, she lets out a breath, raising her chin as her expression sobers up "I'll be fine." She protests, and I have a feeling that she's assuring herself not me but I don't utter a word.

I just nod, moments pass and she stares at me "I'm not a kid, I'll be fine, go sleep." She insists, her eyes are pleading with emotions, but her mind is winning, as it always does.

"I will when you sleep." I say, a smile slowly spreading on my face, she doesn't intercept my words, just huffs a breath of frustration apparently, she places her head on the pillow, raising her brows at me "I'm sleeping." She adds and my smile widens.

"Stop smiling." She orders, i arch a brow at her sudden shift, "God, don't act as if you're enjoying this." She groans and places another pillow on her face, I snatch it back "You'll die like this." I protest, my expression sobers up as I narrow my eyes in her direction.

"Good night." She says, annoyance clear in her voice, I lean back beside her further, my back against the headboard, "Good night, darling." I say softly, my eyes on hers as she stifles a yawn.

And slowly, she drifts to sleep, I stand up, pull the covers over her body, softly nudge her brown hair out of her face, she hums in agreement and I smile,

Whatever it is I have to face to get her back, I'll do it, no hesitation, I just want her back, want my love back.

༺❁༻

"I'm going to kill you if it's not worth it." Amara promises as she sighs, running a hand through her long hair, I smile playfully, "It's worth it." I mutter under my breath.

I've been almost begging her for over an hour to just trust me and get in the damn car, my eyes flit back to her, roaming all over her tall frame.

She's wearing a black suit, with a red top beneath it, which is definitely revealing, but with Amara, I can't really complain about it or she'll actually slap me, "What are you staring at, you pervert?" Her voice sobers me up and I arch a brow.

She crosses her hands over her chest, looking vaguely defensive as she raises her brows challengingly, I clutch her hand and start walking downstairs, "Hey! Don't run." She protests quickly as she tries to catch up with my steps.

"Maybe if you give up on your heels, then you'll be able to run." I mutter under my breath as we approach my car, "Yeah well, I'm not going out to a "fancy restaurant" with sneakers." She quotes dramatically and I fight the urge of rolling my eyes.

We both get inside the car, finally, I let out a breath and I can feel her gaze burning holes through my body, "You want to say something." I state as I turn in her direction, she clears her throat.

"What happened this morning-" she starts and I nod, knowing what she's about to say "Forgotten." Just like everything else with her, she relaxes and her expression softens,

I start the engine and try to ignore the amount of memories running laps through my mind at the moment because it's just fucking painful,

Moments later, we arrive at the said restaurant, my eyes flit to Amara's who's already looking at me with a fierce expression on her face, and I can't help but stare.

Big green eyes, high cheekbones, smooth skin, and perfectly styled hair, Amara is beautiful in every aspect of that word, she breaks our eye contact and leans back in her seat.

"Come on," I mutter and run a hand through my hair as we step out of the car, I wrap a hand across her waist, and her muscles slightly constrict before she relaxes in my hold.

We get inside moments later, she stops in her tracks and her eyes snap up to mine, a question clear in them as she arches a brow "Did you book the whole restaurant, Ezekiel?" I smile at her question and she stifles a laugh.

"Well well." She mutters under her breath, a small smile tugged at her lips and the sight spreads warmth through my body, it's a sight I always want to see, "Wanted to have you all for myself, see? You should've worn your sneakers then." I add and she rolls her eyes but her smile just widens.

We both sit down seconds later, this has always been her favorite place to go to, "You said you wanted to talk." She shrugs, her eyes holding mine as she speaks, I lean back in my seat, letting out a breath to embrace myself for the possibility of this night going wrong.

"I thought about something." I start, raising my brows playfully, she waits for me to speak, not giving her exact reaction, "I'm going to work in your company." She almost chokes on her water and I straighten, extending a hand to help her but the glare she gives me is enough to make me retrieve my hands back before she cuts them off.

"Don't you work with the pakhan?" She's talking about the dirty work we deal with, the mocking tone is enough to give off the impression that she hates what I do, but it's not as if I'm happy with it either.

"It can be my side job for now, whenever they need me, which is a lot of course, I'll help, but I'll spend some time at your place as well." I give her a smug smile and she eyes the cup of water as if she's contemplating throwing it in my face.

I don't exactly need to work with her, but having Amara close will help me win her back a lot easier, the more time we spend together, the more I can prove to her that I changed.

I didn't deserve her years ago, and maybe I don't now, but I cannot imagine her with someone else, someone like Luca, so I'll become better just for her.

Only for her.

"Your ego needs to calm down a bit, and with your fucked up sleeping schedule, you'll get tired and stop working with me in about two days, don't put high hopes." She says with confidence, chin raised, and eyes narrowed.

"If you're so sure, then I guess it won't hurt to try." I insist and she grits her teeth, a muscle in her jaw ticking visibly, "Fine, but I have rules, you won't break any of them." She points her knife at me and I smile.

Nodding at her, Amara will make my life hell just so I can leave her alone, problem is, if she's waiting for me to give up and leave, then she'll have to wait forever.

A vote is really appreciated.