12.

Chapter twelve | Amara
It's been a week since we decided that we were going to help the fucker, and so far, everyone is still alive.

"Did you find anything?" Ezekiel asks as he strolls toward me, placing two glasses of vodka on the table, "There's nothing about this goddamn night in the cameras." I tell him, hundreds of questions clouding my mind.

"This is weird." He protests, running a hand through his hair, I sigh and rub my eyes, placing the laptop away, it's almost midnight and we've been trying to find any information that we can start to search from, but it's almost useless.

I retrieve a cigarette and light it, Ezekiel raises a brow "I thought you stopped." He says, I breathe out, the nicotine filling my nostrils as I stare at him, "I did for a while." When we were together.

His jaw clenches as he probably catches on the memo, I grab the glass of vodka, drowning the taste of smoke in my mouth with it, "I think giving up is the best solution." He motions at the laptop and all the pictures sprawled on the table.

"We just started." I insist, raising a brow at him, "I meant for today." He leans back, rubbing his eyes roughly, my chest clenches and I don't think twice as I speak "You can sleep if you want."

Surprise slightly flashes across his face, he straightens as his eyes hold mine, "And you?" He asks, concern clear in his voice, I smile a bit as I tug the cigarette at my lips, "I won't sleep, I barely do." It's not something new to me, but it's been increasing a lot lately.

I've had insomnia for god knows how long, I'll stay awake for a couple of days before I'm able to sleep again, he clears his throat and runs a hand through his hair "I can help." He starts and immediately raises a finger "Let me speak." He says and I do.

I know exactly what he's about to say right now, "First of all, nicotine and alcohol already trigger your insomnia enough." He says and retrieves both of them from my hand, placing the glass down with a thud, and throwing the cigarette away.

Surprise flashes through my body at the sudden action and I just look at him, no interruption, "I already have something that will help you, just trust me and follow what I'll say." He demands, holding up a hand as if he's not up for disagreement in the first place.

He extends a hand in my direction as he stands up, I take it and he clutches our hands together, walks towards god knows where "Where the hell are we going?" I ask, confused by the fact that we're in front of the front door.

"You'll see." He says and opens it, the cold air slapping me in the face, I grit my teeth to stop them from trembling, we take the stairs at the same time, and moments later I find myself in front of his car, why? Absolutely no idea.

He doesn't give me a single clarification as he opens the car door and I get inside, hundreds of questions threatening to come out of the tip of my tongue, he walks around and gets inside the car with me.

"Now what?" I ask, raising a questioning brow as confusion rattles through me, "Did you ever question why babies sleep most of the time in the car?" He suddenly asks and I realize where this is going, "Why would I ask myself such thing?" I protest and he rolls his eyes,

"Whatever, the point is, if you try to sleep in something that is constantly moving, your mind will shut down the thoughts for a while, and you'll slowly drift off to sleep." He clarifies and I absorb his words for a moment.

"I don't think that will work." I say sincerely, blinking away my tiredness, "It won't hurt to try." He insists and starts the engine, "How will you sleep?" I ask, brows furrowed as I wait for an answer, "I'll sleep later." He says and guilt instantly spreads through my body.

"Ezekiel, let's just go back and you can sleep, I'm okay with this." I say, his eyes finding mine for a split second before they settle on the road again, "You could've tried to hide your concern a bit, darling." He says teasingly and I release a breath.

His gaze finds mine again but his expression is softer, almost as if he's concerned, seconds later he slows down and stops the car, "What's wrong?" I ask, confused by his action.

My question stays unanswered as he steps out of the car and walks towards mine, opening it as well, "Come closer." He says and I slowly do as he says, he takes off the jacket he was wearing and places it on my shoulders.

"You're shivering." He says and I discreetly rub my hands together as I try to find any warmth from the friction, I tug his jacket down my arms, looking almost comedic as half of the sleeve dangles down my fingers.

I find him grinning up at me, almost amused by this whole thing, and honestly, I can't give him shit about it right now, "Thank you." I offer lightly, his smile widens and he nods at me, his eyes softening.

Seconds later I find him beside me again as he starts the engine, "You can get tomorrow off." I shrug, "All that because I made you warm?" He asks and I glare at him, "Apologies." He adds and I roll my eyes.

I yawn as I scan our surroundings, the roads are almost empty, but the vibe here is peaceful, a phone ring startles that peace almost instantly, I groan as I retrieve the phone but relax when I see whose name is flashing across the screen.

"How are you?" My brother's voice meets my ears the moment I click on the button, "I'm great, why aren't you sleeping? It's midnight." I ask and slightly look at Ezekiel, whose eyes are already on mine.

I avert my gaze to the road as I listen to Ivar, "That best friend of yours, tell her that if she doesn't stop playing with fire and just fucking decline the marriage, I'll be fully happy to kidnap her and start a war between the two countries." He says so fast it takes me a moment to absorb the words.

"What is it with all of you wanting to start a fucking war?" I groan and rub my eyes as I curse Aurora internally, "I'll tell her." I add, it's clear that marriage is a topic out of women's hands around here, but this time, Aurora can change it, because her father won't accept such thing, Alessandro Bianchi's soft spot has always been in Aurora's hands, he would do anything for her, it's not a surprise.

My brother's sigh brings me back to real life and startles my thoughts for a beat, "Did that asshole do something?" He asks, changing the topic, and the malice in his words makes me choose my next words carefully.

"He's actually helping me sleep." I say sincerely and I instantly feel Ezekiel's eyes on me, I try to ignore the way my skin still flushes and focus on my brother, "Go sleep then." He says gently, I smile a bit.

"Good night."

Moments later, we both close the call and another yawn stifles through my mouth, "Talk." I say, hating the silence between us, it's nothing near comfortable, almost awkward.

"You look really beautiful when you're not glaring." He states and that earns him a glare, "While doing so as well." He adds, his smirk widening further, the prick, I blink away as I start to feel my eyes drooping,

"You deserve every glare I throw in your direction," I say weakly as I snuggle into his jacket, welcoming the warmth further, Ezekiel's scent is all on it, it spreads comfort through me and a feeling I barely feel anymore.

Safe, I feel safe.

Just as my eyes close uncontrollably and the darkness swallows me whole, he was right.

A vote is really appreciated.