Chapter 3

Warby had come to a realization while in the dingos hospital. He realized that both sides were suffering from authoritarian governments with polar opposite ideologies. Most of all he could not thank that Peace enough. He did not know what to do. He wished he could take all the hatred and all of the stuff he said back. Everyday that Peace spent with Warby the more and more the 2 grew. Warby's hatred of the dingos almost completely went away. The citizens themselves were not bad; they were just under a bad government. Warby technically should not have received treatment as that is illegal under dingo law. For some reason everyone at the hospital and in the town spared him.

The war had been drawn to a stalemate. The dingo pushed the kangaroos all the way back to the border but since they lacked soldiers and supplies that was as far as they could go. Day by day more hatred was spread from the leaders and more soldiers died. However day by day Warby and Peace grew closer and closer. They realized that this whole war was for nothing and that lives were being wasted and over what?

After months of fighting both leaders agreed to a treaty. The fighting had finally stopped. Warby and Peace expected people to be happy but the general sentiment was of bitterness. Had their friends and family really died for a draw? Civilians from both sides had become more discriminated against than ever. Dingos in kangaroo land were lynched and vice versa. To make matters worse his wounds healed and the war over Warby had to return to his country.

"I guess I have to go home now with the war over," Warby sadly said.

"How will we keep in touch?" Peace questioned.

"I will visit you every chance I get" Warby said while leaving. They both hugged as Warby boarded the train back to his home country. Warby returned back to a very war torn and bitter country. What used to be sprawling cities with happy people were nothing more than depressing wastelands. The kangaroo population had been reduced to 400,000 due to the wars fighting and the nation was now heavily in debt. A week after the treaty was signed Alabama Asphalt was assassinated in a coup. The new leader of the country was Virginia Westbrook. He was much harsher than Alabama Asphalt and enacted several limiting policies on kangaroos rights. Luckily for the kangaroos he was assassinated a week later as well and the former vice president of the Asphalt administration Kentucky Providence took over. All acts under Virginia Westbrook were repealed. The government decided to hold an election to decide the new leader.

"This is perfect," Warby said to himself. "I can change the country" Warby excitedly claimed. For months Warby campaigned his platform and drummed up massive support. When it came time for the general election 2 main candidates were arguing for the job: Warby Slaughter and Kentucky Providence. The race was neck and neck however Warby being a war hero and technically a POW gave him the edge. With 1 week until the election news came out that Kentucky Providence had actually dodged the draft in a previous war 20 years prior. With such a resentful and war torn nation this angered many who were tricked into serving.

When the day of the election came Warby won by landslide victory. Warby had 82% of the vote with 164,000 votes and Kentucky Providence only had 30,000 votes with the rest going to throw away candidates. With only 200,000 registered voters Warby won in a complete blowout and was elected president.