Chapter Six

'Her Dealer To Her Downfall'

Laughing freely, her hand in John's, they turn the corner of the restaurant they just spent the last hour in. Every day they had done something. And it meant the world. It completely changed Veronica's thoughts on her marriage. It sounds so simple, and so dumb, but who knew that actually putting the effort in, meant you could feel things for them you felt when you first met. That you could fuck as often as when you first met. We are wild, free and unbothered about the world.

"Hey, let me pop in here and get you another bottle." John kisses her cheek before jogging into the liquor store they passed. 

"From there? Yikes." Dean mocks their less expensive taste, startling Veronica as she rounds the corner.

"Him? Seriously, him?" He asks her, noting her husband is nowhere the level of attractive that Dean was. His eyebrow raised.

"What the fuck, Dean! Are you following me?" Veronica whispers, panicked John could come back any second.

"Don't flatter yourself Nica, it's New York." He takes note of how her hair is dancing in the wind, and his eyes trail down to her low cut dress, remembering what her bare body looked like through the window.

"You have to go. Now." She pleads, the guilt that she buried resurfaced. 

"Fine, I'll see you at work then." He teases, bending down to whisper in her ear-

"Unless you need a ride again." His words imply many things. Her cheeks flush with both arousal and anger. She knew what he made her feel, but she also knew how it made her feel. She was so conflicted between this man she doesn't know, and her own husband who is actually being the man she always wanted him to be.

"They had a deal on 2 so I got-" John starts to greet Veronica, coming out with two bottles, before stopping in his tracks.

"Here you go, you need to be more careful." Dean pretends to hand her something, acting as though he was a total stranger.

"Thank you, these earrings are always falling out." She tries to fake laugh, but watches Dean as he walks away.

"What was that about?" John asks, linking his fingers with hers.

"I lost my earring but he saw it on the ground." She tries to say nonchalantly, shrugging her shoulders, pretending to hook it back through her ear.

"You're too trusting. That guy looked like a dick. He'd totally rob you if you gave him the chance." John proceeds to comment, the wine bottles clinking as they walk.

Veronica can't help but laugh, remembering her 'terrorist' conversation with him. He definitely would not be robbing her.

"Yeah, I know..." She trails off, her mind confused, stuck in a cycle of thoughts.

"You know what baby, I'll meet you at home. I'll go get us a dessert or something, yeah?" Veronica lets go of her husbands hand, kissing him on the cheek.

"I don't mind doing that, better if you're not on the subway alone at night." His heart sweet, caring.

"I'll get a cab, don't worry! See you soon!" Veronica begins to head off, before John can actually stop her.

Surely Dean couldn't have got too far.

"I knew you'd be back." Dean startles her for the second time that day, the cigarette hanging against his lips as though it took no effort in the world.

"Jesus Dean. I'm just- shopping." Veronica lied.

"Oh Nica, baby. You know you're not." He tugged at the hem of her dress, pulling her closer to him. The velvety sound of his voice, causing her to feel drunk.

"I can't do this. I don't know why I came back." She trips over her words, cheeks red, flushed for more than one reason.

"I do, Nica." His lips graze against her ear, sending shooting feelings down her stomach, to her core.

"Dean..." Veronica moans - "I can't do this." She tries to take a step back, but he still has hold of her dress.

"Why not. Look at him, look at me." He's cocky, because he knows it's true.

But Veronica didn't fall in love with John because he was sexy. She fell in love with who he was as a person. She tries to remind herself that, but after seeing him again. The desire was so strong to return. He was her drug. Her dealer to her downfall.

"Tell him you ran into some friends." He continues to whisper into her ear, his tongue slightly touching her neck. He knew how to convince a woman.

"He won't believe me." Her voice is barely above a whisper, her eyes are closed.

Then she remembers where she is, in the middle of the street, practically drooling over Dean.

"One drink with your friends never hurt anyone." Dean was thinking about Javier, about the rush he felt pulling the trigger, the power he has. He still needed that release. He still needs her. He won't fucking stop until he tastes that golden honey of a woman.

"One." She concedes, pulling her phone out to text him.

"Love triangles are so stupid you know. One person always gets hurt." She looks up at him, his eyes dark and inviting. He was the person your mother warns you about, the boy you don't date.

"I don't do love, baby girl. Don't you worry about me." He winks, rubbing his thumb over her bottom lip as she watches him as if in awe.

"There are many things not including love, that I want to do with you, to you." He leans down, so his face is practically above hers. She can smell the smoke on his breath, but again, it turned her on. She was getting wet just looking at this man. How is that even possible? She thinks to herself, her eyes drinking in every detail of his face, down to his scars.

His lips were now barely centimetres from hers...