Emma Grace Barrow: dark brown shoulder-length hair, blue eyes. A few freckles adorn the tip of her nose. She wears a floral dress, a dark green cardigan, tights, and black ankle boots. Clutching her stuffed dog Bello in her hand, she giggles and urges, "Faster! Faster!" as William carries her piggyback through the hallway.

Carson gazes at the cheerful child with concern. "Mrs. Hughes," he calls, capturing the attention of the housekeeper. "This telegram has just arrived." The telegram is addressed to Emma Grace Barrow. Clearly, the sender was unaware that they were writing to a child. "Thomas has been wounded," she exclaims in horror. Her gaze shifts from the telegram to the direction of the servants' quarters, where William is goofing around with the little girl.

"I will ask His Lordship if he can find out more information. Which hospital Thomas is in and whether Emma can visit him," Carson sighs. He may not be a friend of Barrow's, but the young girl didn't choose her father. On the contrary, Thomas chose the child, saving her from the fate of an orphan.

Naturally, Lord Grantham immediately took steps to inquire about Thomas Barrow's whereabouts and health status. Thomas was in the Leeds hospital, "I don't think we should worry Emma," Lady Grantham suggested, "Once Thomas is well, he will surely visit his daughter, but embarking on such a long journey with a 5-year-old, especially to a military hospital full of wounded soldiers, I don't think it's advisable."

Therefore, the adults agreed to keep it a secret. None of them would ever tell the girl about the telegram.

Just four days after receiving the telegram, Emma ran joyfully through the hallway, "Daddy wrote to me!" Emma exclaimed, intercepting the mail at the back door. She casually tossed the other letters and the newspaper onto the table before handing the letter to Mr. Lang. She looked at the new footman expectantly. She would have liked to read the letter herself, but she lacked the patience. But there was no one else available. Her favorite servant, William, was on vacation with his father, and Anna was currently dealing with enough problems with Mr. Bates and his wife.

"Can you read it to me, please?" she asked politely.

"Of course," he said, taking the letter with trembling hands.

Little dwarf,

I'm sorry that I forgot to congratulate you in my last letter. Of course, I wish you all the best (belatedly) on your birthday! I can't believe you're already so grown up! It feels like yesterday that you learned to walk and talk.

Please thank Mrs. Hughes and Mrs. Patmore for me for organizing your birthday celebration. I know I promised last year that I would be here this year, but unfortunately, I can't leave. The war doesn't take a break, and I am needed here.

I am so grateful for your gift. Can you really do without your stuffed animal? I promise I will take good care of your Abit. It is in safe hands with me, and one day I will bring it back to you.

By the way, I think it's fantastic that you can already read and write! I look forward to receiving your first self-written letter.

I miss you!

Dad

Mrs. Hughes peered into the letter. It had been sent before the news of his injury and could very well have been Emma's very last letter from her father. Emma quickly grabbed paper and pen, "Will you help me write?" Emma's question didn't allow for a "no." And so, Mr. Lang helped the child write a letter.

Daddy,

My birthday was great, but for next year, I wish for you to be here! That's my only birthday wish! So please come home very soon! I miss my stuffed animal, so you really have to come to me very soon, so I can have Abit to fall asleep with again! Mrs. Hughes gave me a stuffed dog as a gift. I named him Bello. Actually, I wanted a real dog, but Mr. Carson was against it. Maybe I can have a dog when you come back?

I miss you very much

Your little dwarf.

Below her sentence, she drew a picture of the Abbey, with the dog Isis followed by two figures. A father with his child.

"Mister Carson," she jumped up and followed the butler into his office, "I'm curious."

"Curious?" he inquired.

"I would like to know what my dad did here before he went to war."

"He worked."

Emma let out a long and loud sigh, "Mister Carson, I already know that! I want to know what exactly he did. William said he served dinner for the family. But why does the family need servants at all? I can eat without a servant, and I'm only five!"

Now it was Carson who sighed and explained to the girl why the family employs servants. Thus, the idea arose to transform an ordinary staff dinner into a festive dinner. Mr. Carson handed the sauce to the child and took the main course himself. They began with Mrs. Hughes, as she was the next highest-ranking staff member.

"I'll serve myself, Emma," she smiled as Emma reached for the spoon, "Everyone will serve themselves, you just have to hold the sauce."

"Look, Anna! I'm a servant now," the child grinned.

"You're doing great, Emma," she smiled.