Chapter Twenty One: Venomous

Start from the beginning

☾☾☾

I slammed my locker shut, as the warning bell rang. I hugged my Economics textbooks tightly against my chest as I took my time making my way to class. I needed time to breathe and decompress. The car ride to the school felt like it was five times longer than usual. Stiles and Scott continuously talked about the creature—the Kanima as Derek called it—until I finally piped up from my silence to ask if we could talk about absolutely anything else. I couldn't think any more about that thing. I could barely think at all. With the school day hardly started, I found myself desperately wishing I had called out sick. 

My boots scuffed against the linoleum floor as I came to a stop. My eyes narrowed as I glared forward, watching a blonde curly teen grinning while walking towards me. I blinked dumbfoundedly, unable to fathom that Isaac Lahey was here at school and not currently being tackled by police. 

"What are you doing here?" I finally asked. 

"I thought I'd at least get a welcome back." Isaac smirked. 

"I didn't realize we were friends." I dryly replied. Isaac circled around me before leaning against a locker.

"Ouch." He sarcastically commented. "Well, for your information, I've been acquitted." He flashed a confident smile. My head snapped over to look at him. 

"What?" My jaw dropped.

"You didn't actually think I killed my own father, did you?"

"No, that's not what I meant." I shook my head. "I, I thought—how?"

"Jackson decided to be a good pal and go tell the Sherriff the truth." I rolled my eyes. 

"What did you do to him?" I immediately asked. 

"Why would you think I did anything to poor, innocent Jackson?" Isaac asked, peering at his nails.

"Well, maybe because Jackson doesn't do anything good unless there's something in it for him for one."

"Does it matter? I'm free. And innocent, may I add. No more rampages at the station." I scoffed under my breath. 

"All the sudden having you locked up doesn't seem like the worst idea." I snipped, walking off. Before I could get far, Isaac came rushing up beside me.

"What's with the attitude? You don't like the new me?"

"I didn't even know the old you, so I don't think it matters." I retorted.

"Well, you know my story." Isaac reminded. I stopped in my tracks and chomped down on my tongue. I turned to Isaac and held in an angry groan.

"You're really going to use that card on me?"

"I've been abused most of my life and my dad just died, aren't I allowed to have a little fun in the mean time?" Isaac batted his eyes. 

"Yeah, that doesn't mean joining Derek." I muttered, turning on my heel and storming away.

☾☾☾

I plopped my textbooks down on my desk, sinking myself down into my seat as I waiting for Finstock's class to start. My hopes for class to go quick and painless faded as Jackson took a seat beside me. 

"Hey!" The blonde barked. "Testicle left and right. What the hell is a Kanima?" Jackson's words turned into a whisper as he grabbed Scott and Stiles' attention in front of us. I whipped my neck over to look at Jackson, my brows furrowing tightly. 

Our attention was ripped form Jackson to the sound of a desk being slammed as Finstock banged against his desk. 

"Okay, quick warning before our review. Some of you, like McCall—boy McCall—might want to start their own study groups. Because, tomorrows midterm is so profoundly difficult, I'm not even too sure I can pass it." Finstock laughed, pointing over at the chalk board that noted that we had a midterm tomorrow. I gritted my teeth together, realizing that after everything that had happen in the past few weeks, I had completely forgotten about midterms.