6. Please, don't cry

• Dedicated to my aunt

*Dan’s POV*

I didn’t care if someone saw me going to Phil’s room at 3 am. I just couldn’t sleep and I needed to be around someone. I needed to be around him.

“It’s okay child.. You can sleep there” – Phil said when I entered the room, pointing at PJ’s bed.

Suddenly  everything was better,  I forgot about the storm just by looking at him.

“Were you sleeping?”

“Not really, I was talking to my sister.”

Phil seemed quite worried and sad.

“Did something happen? Is she okay? What about Peter?” –

We weren’t talking about Emma and Peter. Phil would get sad if I asked something, so we kinda forgot about it.

“He doesn’t want the baby, Dan.. He wants Emma to do an abortion” – Phil sounded sad. Obviously he didn’t agree.

“And Emma? Does she want the baby?”

“She isn’t sure yet…”

Someone was calling Phil. He looked at his phone and with a sad face, he said “Sorry Dan, it’s my dad. He’s in Australia that’s why he’s calling me now. Do you mind if I talk to him in the bathroom?”

“Not at all Phil, just go, I don’t want to bother!”

“You’re not a bother, just stay here I’ll be back in 2 minutes.”

He went to the bathroom. I lay in PJ’s bed and..

THUNDER. Lightning. Also, the wind.

I went under the covers, it was quite cold but I left my jumper in my room and was wearing just sweatpants and a t-shirt. Phil started yelling at his dad.. I couldn’t understand exactly what he was saying, but it went something like this:

“IT’S NOT MY FAULT THAT SHE GOT PREGNANT, DAD!” – silence- “HE WAS MY FRIEND BUT HOW COULD I KNOW HE WOULD DO SOMETHING LIKE THIS?” –silence -  “WELL I’M NOT HER FATHER, YOU’RE THE ONE WHO LEFT YOUR KIDS AT A BOARDING SCHOOL SO YOU WOULDNT NEED TO TEACH THEM THINGS LIKE THIS” – silence –

Basically, it was like this for 20 minutes. It was terrible seeing Phil so sad. I just couldn’t take this anymore. He was crying and sobbing, it was breaking my heart. So I decided I should do something.

I burst in the door. Just like that. I opened the bathroom door without even thinking, took his phone off his hands, and said:

“PHIL, THIS IS ENOUGH! THIS IS MAKING YOU BAD AND ANGRY AND IT’S JUST WRONG, STOP IT!”

Phil was in shock for a second. I wasn’t sure if I should have done this, but I didn’t care. 

I noticed that Phil’s dad could hear me.

“Hey Phil’s dad, it’s a Phil’s friend here. Could you please call him another time because it’s 3 am and he needs to rest, please? Okay, Goodbye.”

I ended that phone call and looked at Phil. He was still crying so I wiped off the tears that were coursing down his cheeks.

“Oh Dan.. Thank you for doing this..”

“It’s okay Phil. Just forget about this, okay? It’s not your problem, not your fault that your sister is pregnant.”

“But I should have protected her, Dan”

“How could you protect her, Phil? You would stalk her and walk after her every second, making sure she wasn’t having sex? That’s not possible. Don’t blame yourself.”