Chapter 27

They stared for a long time, as hawks tried to process what he was saying, the silents stretched across the room, coating them in an awkward understanding.

"H-how have you been then?" Dabi didn't know why he was nervous, maybe it was seeing his man again, or the significant changes he had undergone. But the sight made his eyes want to tear up.

Hawks let out a huff of exhaustion, Dabi could see it in his eyes, he was tired. Over these past four years must have been lonely, by himself.

"Just fine Dabi, Just fine." Hawks kept his voice quiet and low, like he was trying not to startle him. The room drew cold, the burning oranges from outside dimmed and the heat cooled till Dabi could see goose bumps form on the top of his skin.

"Whats with the bandages? Where have you been?, I'm so-" Dabi had so many questions they came tumbling out, so many unanswered thoughts, he didn't know where to start.

Hawks swiftly moved across the room, his footsteps barely making a sound against the creaky floorboards. Running over and placing a rough palm to his face muffling any more noise, and shushing him with his other to his own lips.

In that fleeting moment, the room seemed to hold its breath alongside the two men. Time stretched as they both kept silent. Dabi had no clue as to what had gotten Hawks so spooked, but kept his mouth shut.

Right as Hawks looked from the closed door to the room, Dabi could see the flash of emotion. It flooded his eyes as his pupils dilated and arms wrapped around him grew stiff with tension.

Panic

Hawks was panicking. Wickedly it gave Dabi a strange sense of comfort that he wasn't the only one in this relationship. The worry gave relief and fear at the same time as he began to spread warmth at the feel of danger.

His bird drew his eyes from the door, looking back to Dabi's face. As his golden eyes met, they seemed to hold a captivating depth, drawing in like the warm glow of a setting sun. They shimmered with an otherworldly brilliance, reminiscent of precious amber or the finest caramel.

He missed his eyes.

They calmed a small part of his soul, and made him feel zapped with a new found energy, and those golden eyes dropped to his palms that were starting to burn. They swirled with annoyance at the sight till they grasped Dabi's, wrapped in bandage and white that was slowly burning to the colour of soot.

Nothing was said throughout the whole exchange but they understood each other perfectly as the bandages turned brown and black, not actually catching a flame but the heat didn't seem to faze Hawks as he grasped his hands, waving them within his own.

They shared a silent understanding, their eyes speaking volumes with each other. It was calm and still, till the smell of burning flesh filled Dabi's nostrils encouraging him to let go and snatch his hands away from the other.

He cradled his palms against his chest, they stung like normal, the white wrapped around his arms before was no longer attached as bandages drooped from him. Hawks didn't even look fazed by the burns, the sad, raw emotion of loss screamed out of his eyes.

He stared like he wanted to throw all caution to the wind and jump into Dabi's arms.

"We have to keep quiet." His voice rumbled the delicate silents they had created, Dabi didn't want to disturb that, so he followed with a whisper.

"Why? Is it the Hero's you're hiding from?" Hawks didn't exactly leave on good terms with them In the first place.

He shook his head in response, giving an unknown gesture to the door, like he was suppose to know what that means.