one

Think, you had to think. Through the adrenaline coursing through you, you frantically tried to remember what you needed to do. You should know, but why was it so hard?? You were panicking, right, of course! Forcing yourself to take calming breaths despite being acutely aware of the amount of blood you were losing, you tried to remind yourself it would do no good to be hysterical. You would only make it worse.

Finally, you felt like you could think. Ok, now what? Your right leg was bent under you at the knee, and the break was your fibula and/or tibia, you couldn't tell. Your knee hurt too so maybe you sprained it? Not as important right now.

Breathing deeply, you used your hands to prop yourself up and off your injured leg, doing your best to not move your right leg at all. Pain shot through you instantly and you whimpered, gritting your teeth together in hopes of blocking the noise. You finally got onto your stomach, breathing through the pain. You had been so lucky to never experience this before, but now you almost wished you had so you'd know how to deal with the throbbing agony in your leg.

When you felt you could move again, you hyped yourself up before rolling onto your right side. A scream ripped from your throat, and again you had to stop and breathe. Then you flipped onto your back. Aware of how much blood you were losing, you didn't wait before sitting up, finally getting a good look at your leg.

Putting a hand over your mouth, it took everything in you to not throw up. Seeing an injury like this on someone else didn't bother you at all, but on you? It was like it flipped the 'gross' switch in your brain. But you resisted, closing your eyes to try to force the vomit back. The environment was already dirty and gross, you weren't about to make it worse.

Your right leg was broken about half-way between your knee and ankle, and at least one bone was sticking through your skin. You could barely see it through the blood oozing out. Trying to keep yourself from hyperventilating, you looked around for materials to make a splint.

There were a lot of dead flowers, some barely living grass, and giant mounds of dirt on every side extending all the way up to the hole you fell through. Well, there was a doorway out of the cavern up the way too, but one step at a time. You winced. Ok, bad joke...

You didn't have many options. You wanted to stay here and wait for Leon to notice you were gone, but how long would that be? And how much longer would you have to wait to be rescued? By then you could bleed out. Deciding you didn't have a choice but to look around for something to use as a splint, you quickly took off your lab coat and black shirt, then wrapped the shirt around your wound tightly. It wasn't as sterile as you would've liked, and it didn't stop the bleeding—but really, what choice did you have?

Putting your lab coat back on, you buttoned it up to hide your bare stomach. Then with your hands under you, you kept your right leg straight as you put all your weight on your arms and left leg to stand. It was wobbly, but you just managed to do it. Your injured leg protested the whole way, but you managed to push through. Wiping your cheeks from the tears, you used the wall of the cavern to shamble towards the doorway out.

"H-Hey, I wouldn't go there if I was you," a voice echoed off the walls, and you turned quickly.

"Who's there?" Some instinctual fear slipped into your tone. Were there cave people living here?

"There are monsters down here. If they see you, they'll kill you." The voice sounded more scared than scary, but you weren't about to judge a mysterious voice as friendly until you knew what was going on. So you cleared your throat and put on a brave act—if they knew you were injured, that could mean your life. Monsters were bad news no matter the context.

"What are you talking about?" A shape popped out of the ground. The sun had set and the darkness was following it, but you were just able to make out a flower-looking shape.