Fifty

Noah paced the length of the hallway outside his room. He hadn't slept for the rest of the night, not after what happened. He wasn't sure if it was a seizure, or an extreme panic attack. Whatever it was, it had caused Juliette to shake so hard he was afraid she would hurt herself. He managed to keep her relatively contained, but she ended up passing out, which, at the time, he had almost been grateful for.

She'd been under observation at the infirmary, thankfully by Gr. Greene, not Dr. Violet for almost four hours. Noah wasn't sure what was going on, and he doubted he'd be told.

Reaching the end of the hallway, he started back down the other way. He wished Mason was awake, if nothing else for someone to talk to and think out loud with.

Noah strung a hand through his hair, sinking back against the wall and dropping his head into his hands. She had to be okay. She had to be. It wouldn't be fair, after everything that happened, for her to die, or be bed-ridden for the rest of her life.

Noah finally stood up, starting toward the gym and needing to let out some of his pent-up rage. He headed straight for the punching bags, not even bothering to wrap his hands.

"Hey, Noah."

Noah didn't even turn around. It was Meyer, and he was not in the mood. "Not today, Meyer," he snapped.

Meyer didn't take the hint. He came up to Noah, smacking his shoulder. "Come on man, it's—"

Noah wheeled, slamming Meyer against the wall, wrapping his fists around his shirt. "I said not today," he seethed.

Meyer didn't push back. "I wasn't going to start anything."

Noah huffed.

"Your girl's in the hospital. You're upset. It's okay. I'm sorry."

Noah waited for the punchline, waited for him to jab at him, but he didn't. There was no mocking in his face. Noah took a step back, letting Meyer go. Meyer tugged his shirt down.

"If you, you know, need anything." Meyer shoved his hands in his pocket, jerking his shoulders in a shrug.

Noah worked his jaw. "Thanks."

Footsteps caught their attention, and they both turned as Mason jogged into the room. "I just heard. What happened?"

Noah shook his head. "I don't know. She... she had a nightmare. Luis was on duty, thank the skies. She was panicking because she thought I was in danger—I mean really panicking—and then... I don't know, she just kept getting more and more worked up, and then... she passed out. Or had a seizure. I don't know. She stopped breathing, but her heart was racing." Noah turned his face to the ceiling, blinking his eyes clear.

"Is she stable?" Mason asked.

"I think so. But, I mean, no one will tell me anything, so I have no idea." Noah filled his lungs to the bursting point, then let the air out in a sigh.

"I bet I could get Daisy to find out," Mason said, backtracking out of the room.

Noah took off after him. They didn't get very far before Noah's wristlet vibrated. He stopped, frowning.

"What's wrong?"

"It's Natasha. She's calling me to the infirmary."

"Maybe Juliette's asking for you."

Noah darted back to his room, quickly changing into a uniform, and then tearing up into the palace, toward the infirmary. He slowed, pausing to catch his breath and steel his face into stone, before continuing forward.

Natasha was pacing outside the doors, worry plastered on her face. Odette was nowhere to be seen.

"Is she—?"