Chapter 22: Dinner

They arrived at a luxurious apartment building. Eda told Luz that Lilith lived on the penthouse floor. It was called the Azure Tower. It was located in the heart of the city. It rose 40 stories high. It had smooth blue glass, and every floor had a balcony.

Luz and Eda entered through the big glass doors, which opened to a spacious lobby with a soaring ceiling and a glittering chandelier. The walls were decorated with various paintings and sculptures were scattered around.

There was a cozy sitting area near a concierge desk.

"Wow, this place is..." Luz gaped, looking around the building. It was as stunning inside as it was outside.

"It's something." Eda muttered. 

They approached the front desk. Eda asked the woman working there for access to the elevators. Those, as well as the stairs, were only accessible with a pass from a resident. The woman gave them a guest card. Lilith had told them to expect them.

"Alright kiddo, let's go up." Eda walked toward the elevator with Luz trailing behind her. As she pressed the button, she turned to Luz. "Stay alert, Luz. If anything goes wrong, you get out of here, okay?"

Luz looked at Eda, feeling nervous. She wanted to argue, but Eda's expression stopped her. "Okay." She reluctantly agreed.

Lilith opened the door, smiling warmly. She was wearing a fancy dress and had her hair done up in a bun. She looked like she was going to a gala.

"Eda! Luz! I'm so happy you came!" She exclaimed, embracing them both.

Eda and Luz hugged her back, feeling awkward and uneasy. They didn't trust her sudden friendliness. 

"Come in, come in. Make yourselves at home. Dinner will be ready soon," Lilith said, ushering them inside.

Lilith closed the door as the two entered her apartment. Eda was wearing her usual red dress that was torn part way down her legs. What surprised her the most was the jacket that Luz wore. It looked very familiar to her, and it was. It was Eda's old rugby jacket. 

"Can I take your coat? Hat?" She offered, noticing Luz was still hiding her ears under her beanie.

Luz shook her head, feeling very nervous. She knew that Lilith knew she was a witch, but she still felt nervous about taking her hat off. She didn't want to expose her ears.

"I'd rather keep it on," she said softly.

Eda stepped in front of her, putting a hand on Luz's shoulder. She glared at Lilith, sensing her discomfort. "We're good, thanks anyway, Lilly," she said, trying to be nice.

"Alright, well come on in," Lilith said, leading them into the living room. It was spacious and elegant, with expensive furniture and decorations. A crackling fire was burning in the fireplace, creating a cozy atmosphere. There was a massive flat screen TV on the wall above it, showing some news channel.

"Please, please take a seat," she offered, gesturing to the couch. It was plush and comfortable, with pillows and blankets.

Luz glanced at Eda, who looked tense and wary. She could tell that Eda still didn't trust Lilith. 

Luz decided to take the first step. She took a seat on the couch, giving Lilith an awkward smile. "Thanks," she muttered.

Eda followed suit, sitting close to Luz. She wrapped an arm around her protectively.

"Can I get you anything? Water, tea?"

"No, thanks." Luz answered, trying to be polite. 

Lilith nodded and took a seat on the couch as well. She sat only about a foot away from Luz, making her feel crowded.