Chapter 24

I locked myself in my room for a month. I couldn't live with myself because of what I'd done with Natasha. Wanda has kept me updated on her and she was just as broken as me. I hate what I did but I think it's best for her.

I was laying in my bed aimlessly staring at the ceiling before I heard someone bang on my door. I ignored it as usual.

"Naomi you better get your ass up and out of bed."

"Hill?"

"Yes now get up."

I shook my head, what is she doing here?

"No."

"I will knock this door down if I have to. People have been babying you for too long."

I guess they brought in the big guns to get me up.

I sighed but nonetheless got up and opened the door slightly. I was quickly pushed out of the way when Maria barged in and started going through all my clothes.

"What the hell are you doing?"

"Picking you some clothes so you can train. You surely aren't going to win this fight if you just lay in bed and I prefer my friends to be alive."

The next thing I know, my clothes are being shoved on me and I'm being pulled out of my room and into the gym.

"So what are the rules for this duel."

"Well, we get three weapons of choice. No guns."

"That's it?"

"Oh yea, someone has to die."

Maria gave me a look and I just shrugged my shoulders, it was true.

"Come on, we can just practice sparing."

Now don't get me wrong, Maria is an excellent agent but she's just not at my level. I needed more of a challenge if this was going to be productive in any sort.

I had Maria pinned to the mat when someone walked through the gym doors.

"Oh good, you're here. Come spar with Naomi."

I looked up and it was Natasha who walked through the doors. I let go of Maria and stood up. I then started to take my gloves off, thinking she would say no.

"Leave them on. You need the help."

My head snapped up at her words.

The next thing I know, Nat was wrapping her hands and joining me in the ring.

I wasn't ready for her first attack but I was able to quickly recover.

She was being more aggressive than usual, taking her anger out on me. It wasn't long before she had me pinned to the mat, bringing back too many memories.

She stared into my eyes for a moment too long before letting me go and getting off of me.

I started to rip my gloves off.

"I can't fucking do this."

Maria was long gone now, bitch.

"Naomi you need to train or you are going to die."

"I've already accepted it Nat, it's time you have to."

She scoffed at my words.

"I'm sorry I don't want you to die. Now put those back on and let's go."

"I can't be this close to you Nat. I just can't."

"You're the one that ended things, stop being fucking selfish."

I threw my gloves on the floor before walking out of the gym. Training is all just a waste of time.

Later that night, I decided to sit on the roof and clear my head. I looked down at the busy streets of New York as I swung my legs back and forth.

I wonder what happens when you die. Where do we go? I guess that's subject to personal belief but it has always been something I can't fathom. I've been surrounded by death all my life and I've accepted it myself but I could never figure out that last question. It was just a strange thing to think about.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when a certain super soldier sat beside me, joining me on the edge.

"You aren't going to jump are you?"

"Really Bucky?"

I couldn't help but give him a look.

"Just making sure."

We let the silence overtake us, just basking in each other's presence.

"I don't know what to do Bucky, I'm scared I've fucked it all up."

"Will it matter if you're dead?"

I slightly shoved him.

"You can't say that."

"Well, you are looking into the future past this duel which shows that some part of you believes you can make it out of this. You need to hold on to this part."

"Bucky, you know how good he is."

"That doesn't matter. You have something to fight for. Someone to fight for. Even after you broke her heart, she's still fighting for you. Don't you think it's only fair if you give her the same? She loves you Naomi and I don't think anything can break that."

I took in a sharp breath because he was right.

"I still don't think it's fair to drag her along in a relationship if I have a high chance of dying."

"Maybe. Maybe not but for now we need to focus on getting you through this fight so then we can fix your mistake of ending a wonderful relationship."

I laid my head on his cold shoulder.

"Thanks for being an amazing friend."

"Naomi, you don't have to."

"It's better to say it now so I don't have to tell you the day of."

I could feel him give me a nod.

"We've both been through some pretty shitty things but I'm glad we were able to stick together and have a pretty great outcome, well at least for a little while there. Just thanks for being there for me Buck."

He wrapped his cool arm around me and just held me as we both looked out at the city. If this duel doesn't go the way I want it, I was for sure going to miss him.