Chapter 40: Hail the Nightmare

ابدأ من البداية

My anger was burning in overdrive.

It came back. It came back to torment me once more.

I felt my entire body shaking with unbridled rage, my vision becoming blurry. In the corner of my mind, I saw everything that Darkrai showed me, only serving to stoke the flames even more. I felt crimson splatter my vision.

Darkrai retaliated by shooting a Dark Void at Eevee while I was distracted by my thoughts and hit her, putting her to sleep.

By this time, Kirlia woke up and leapt at Darkrai.

"Psychic!" I bellowed.

Kirlia turned to me with a confused look. The distraction was enough for Darkrai to bash her away with its own Psychic.

Wait, why had I ordered Kirlia to use Psychic?

My breath ran ragged. I couldn't think straight; the rage was too much.

Giratina had said something to me, warning me about this very prospect.

"What I'm trying to say is that... my Chosen Ones end up being led astray by my influence."

That's what it meant. All the negative emotions welling up inside of its Chosen Ones are exacerbated by its own influence. Greed, anger, envy—all of that was made worse by Giratina's influence. Being its Chosen One compels you in the worst ways possible. That's why my supposed ancestors became the way they were—because they couldn't handle being Giratina's Chosen One.

In my reverie, Darkrai managed to hit Gengar, Kirlia, and Eevee—who had woken up—away with Dark Pulse.

I was failing them. But how do I stop? All I felt was my ire and my vindictiveness. All I felt was my—

Then Hattrem slapped me, snapping me out of my frenzied state.

"Hattrem!" she chided, pointing one of her braids to my Pokemon, who were getting demolished by Darkrai.

I took a deep breath, calming myself down. "You're right... you're... I'm sorry."

"Hat," she nodded grimly, before turning back to Darkrai.

"I'm sorry guys," I said softly. "But now I'm myself again."

My Pokemon backed away from Darkrai, who eyed us all blankly. They looked at me with determined looks, nodding.

"Right," I said, my head cleared. "Let's try this again. Eevee, Swift!"

Eevee jumped up and flicked her tail at Darkrai, shooting a stream of stars. Darkrai merely floated to the side and shot a Dark Void at Eevee, who was still airborne.

"Kirlia, Teleport! Eevee, Mimic the Dark Void!"

Kirlia grabbed Hattrem and teleported in front of Eevee, holding Hattrem in front of her. The Dark Void was deflected back at Darkrai, who raised its hand to counter it.

"Gengar, Sucker Punch!"

Gengar's figure flashed as he appeared in front of Darkrai and punched it, staggering it. Then he jumped to the side, allowing the Dark Void to hit it, making it fall asleep.

"Gengar, spam Shadow Ball! Kirlia, Disarming Voice! Hattrem, Dazzling Gleam! Eevee, Swift!"

My Pokemon, despite being injured, kept launching their respective moves, all of them hitting Darkrai, who immediately woke up and shook off the damage. It fired multiple Dark Voids that purposely missed Hattrem and hit everyone else.

With a vulgar oath, I turned my attention to Hattrem. "You're going have to stall for time."

Hattrem nodded but said nothing. "Mystical Fire!" I ordered.