8

I was almost asleep when I saw a figure in the shadows across the street. That wasn't unusual in the Glades. Drug dealers and gang members hung out on these streets all night long, but I felt like I knew this figure. Tall and lurking in the dark. They stepped under the street light and I almost shit myself. It was Blaine!

I didn't even think about it. I got out of my car and hurried across the street. I saw the look in his eyes, he thought I was nuts. Hell I might as well be insane. I mean I did just run out of my own house to sleep in my car in the most dangerous part of my hometown. Now I'm running up to some guy I've known less than a week in the middle of the night.

"What the fuck are you doing down here in the dead of night Brooke?" Blaine asked looking at me.

"I could ask you the same thing Blaine." I said his name like it was an insult.

"I'm waiting for someone, and you can't be here." He looked around. "You need to go. This isn't a place for a girl like you to hang around."

"A girl like me?" I rolled my eyes. "And a boy like you will be just fine? I used to skate down here all the time."

"You're a really bad liar. Now go home Brooke."

"Fine." I rolled my eyes again.

"Wait, why are you down here?" He asked when I turned my back.

"I needed a place my mom would never find me so I came here." I told him the truth.

"Did you have an argument with her or something?"

I turned back around and sighed. "Yeah we fought and she slapped me so I left. She's not exactly my biggest fan so it's whatever."

He looked around again then ran his hands through his hair. "Do you need a place to stay?"

I almost said no because I actually am that stubborn, but something genuine in his eyes made me change my answer. "Maybe."

"Then lets go. Did you drive?"

"Yeah my car's over there across the street." I nodded my head toward my baby.

"Give me a ride and you can stay with me." He placed his hand low on my back and guided me toward the car. This time I didn't shake him off right away.

"What about whoever you were meeting?" I asked. "Didn't you drive?"

"They were late anyway so it's fine, and no I walked. I'd never bring my car down here." He walked with his hand at the small of my back. I pulled away from his touch and he dropped his hand fast. "Sorry."

"It's not your fault. It's me." I sighed.

"No I should know not to touch you because-" I cut him off by spinning and grabbing both his hands in mine.

"Don't treat me like glass Blaine. I've been through a hell of a lot and never broken. I don't want you to treat me like I'm so fragile. I just don't want you to expect a hell of a lot out of hanging out with me because I know how guarded I am." I said being as honest as I ever had.

He just nodded. "Ok."

"Just be honest with me. That's the only thing I ask, and if I say stop just do it."

He cocked his head to the side and smiled. "Is this you telling me you're gonna give me a shot?"

I found myself smiling. "I guess so."

He squeezed my hands in his and nodded to my car behind us. "Let's go."

Blaine gave me directions to his place in a town over called Lancaster. He told me he was transferred to our school for fighting and when we pulled into a parking garage I was confused. I pictured him living in a house like Trent and Paul's. He got out of the car and waited for me to join him in front of it.