Chapter 9 - I can't

"Why? Do you like someone?" Yeonjun asked, straight face included.

It took the other party off guard, but he kept calm and responded with a bit of sarcasm.

"Why would I be asking if I knew?"

Silence, then, finally, Yeonjun folded his arms and turned his head away.

"Well, does your heart race around them?" He turned to face Beomgyu to get an answer.

"That's all?"

"No, it's just the easiest way to tell. Your heart tells the truth. You don't know that saying?"

"I don't. Did you make it up?"

Yeonjun straightened his lips into a flat line but secretly wanted to laugh.

"Anything else? I mean... your heart can race with anyone...so" Beomgyu said.

Yeonjuns head tilted a bit to the side, and he furrowed an eyebrow. Then he fixed his face and lifted his head, "Does your heart race with me?"

Beomgyu froze for a split second before forcing himself to smile, then give a soft snort, "What kind of question is that?"

He wrapped his arms around his waist, hugging himself in a way, and of course, it was noticeable to his friend, which made his real answer a little clearer.

Yeonjun debated on it in his head, but eventually, as Beomgyu's laugh started fading, he stepped closer to him.

They made eye contact, though only one of them struggled to focus on one eye, and it wasn't Yeonjun.

Before either of them could speak, the school bell echoed loudly through the school.

They made some distance then, Beomgyu led the way out of there and to class. They walked silently beside each other, clear tension again.

----

After school, Soobin tagged along with the two. He was sleeping over at Yeonjuns house to help out with his arm.

Of course, the injured person wasn't loving the idea, but the idea of making his favorite person more uncomfortable got him to accept the offer.

"So, how did you even get this to happen anyways?" Soobin asked, grabbing the cast softly and lifting it to investigate.

"I fell in the shower,"

Soobin smirked.

"Oh really? Doing what?" He teased, snorting afterward, making Jun laugh along.

Beomgyu was focused on them, not laughing but focused, well, on his thoughts of them. He never realized how close the two are. He doesn't even remember when they got so close. He thought he was the closest to Yeonjun, but he started doubting it, especially as Soobin kept teasing him and touching him all the way home.

'Was it because of what happened? Are things so awkward that he's being replaced?' Circulated in his mind as he searched for an answer.

But they had to be separated, and he didn't get his answer, at least not directly, he left his mind to decide, and of course, it wasn't a good one.

----

"You're home early. You didn't go to after-school lessons?" His father asked.

"Ah...I figured it'd be better if I studied at home tonight...the test is tomorrow, I heard studying at home helps the day before..." Beomgyu fumbled with some of his words, his father squinted in response, clearly not believing any of it.

"Whoever you heard that from is an idiot, and they're probably failing, dint skip after school lessons again,"

"I'm sorry, Father," He said softly, bowing a bit as his father walked away.

He stood up and let out a silent sigh, slapping himself internally for having forgotten to stay after school.

'This is why sleep is important', he thought.

----

Walking to school early in the morning isn't fun, especially when you realize you've forgotten something at home and have to run back, that didn't happen today, luckily, for either of the two friends, but it sure did happen to a few other kids in the school, being punished at the gate, the common school punishment. Holding your hands up in the air until the teacher tells you to lower them, which could be forever.

Beomgyu checked to make sure he had everything with him, making sure he hadn't forgotten anything. Yeonjun was carefree and was pretty confident that he never forgets anything, and besides, he felt as though they might let him off the hook because of his arm.

They weren't walking together, Beom arrived at school 1 hour early while Yeonjun arrived right before the bell. He got lucky, as always.

His signature move is sitting in his seat as soon as the bell rings, or at least entering the room.

Beomgyu proceeds to write notes and copy them into Yeonjuns book during break time. But in the end, he feels like it's a waste because he doesn't even look at them.

"Are you even going to study with these?"

Yeonjuns eyes peared up at him, "Hm?"

"If you aren't going to even read them, then I could be studying instead."

"Sorry," Yeonjun murmered, as if he was getting yelled at by his parent.

He avoided my eyes and looked down. He never does that. He's the one who tends to initiate eye contact. I think I was too harsh.

"Sorry, I didn't mean -"

"It's fine, I get it, study, I'll still fail even if I studied." He chuckled softly, half heartedly. "I'm going pee,"

He got up before I could say anything and left the room.

I folded my arms on the desk and put my forehead against them.

Do I like him?

I mean, if I try to close my eyes, all I can think about is him and the darn kiss. It drives me nuts, and then it feels like my heart is on a treadmill every time I see him pop into view. Sometimes, I even want to go hide, but I end up freezing. I'm going crazy.

Am I crazy for him? Maybe I'm just crazy. There's no way I like him, I can't like him.