Chapter Eight: The Parents

So they waited, patiently, for the return of Mr and Mrs Cook.
Like the day wasn't already daunting enough the waiting game was playing havoc on Kate's mind.

"How's Dad been?" She asked timidly, clambering into the hammock that hung between the veranda posts.

"As far as I know, fine, he doesn't say a lot to us unless we're talking sheep, cattle, dogs or crops there isn't really any reason to talk when we're working. Oh and he likes to talk footy sometimes. Depends how well us A Grade boys are playing." Hugh explained.

"Sounds like Dad," Kate replied, "nothing out of the ordinary."

"It'll be fine Kate. They'll be so happy to see you." Hugh put his arm around her shoulders as the Ute rolled up the drive way.

Kate's eyes diverted to the old farm Ute, it's dents and paint chips told many a story, and she could almost smell the musty cabin filled with dust and other farm matter.
Her mothers eyes met hers, and a shared grin spread across their faces.

"Katie!" Her mother squealed, launching from the Ute, almost stumbling on the gravel and she took her daughter in her arms.

"Hey Mama," Kate felt tears well in her eyes as she sunk into her mother embrace.

"Welcome home my darling," Sandra mumbled through sobs, "happy birthday baby girl."

Kate's father, John leant against the veranda post, a smile on his face but a distant look in his eyes.

"Hey there Dad," she said, quietly confident.

"G'day Katie Girl," he said, a smile forming across his cheeks. "I've missed you."

Kate sighed and raced into her fathers arms, she felt safe as his arms wrapped around her body, drawing her into his chest.

"I've missed you more!" She said, breathing in his his calming scent of lanolin and wheat.

"I didn't think I'd see you today," her father replied. "I sent you a text."

"I saw it, thank you," she smiled.

"We did get you a present though," John announced excitedly, "it's only small and your mother picked them out so I think you'll love them."

"Oh you really didn't have to!" Kate said, as her father started guiding her inside.

"Yes we did," he said simply as they disappeared into the house, "it's your 21st."

Sandra smiled at Hugh, "didn't expect you here Hughie." She said softly.

"I didn't expect me here either," he replied, "it's funny who you encounter in the city."

"Adelaide is just a big country town mate," Sandra chuckled. "Come inside, we've got some catching up to do."

Hugh stepped into the marvellous entrance hall of the huge house, it was clean and welcoming. The hallway was decorated with pictures of the girls at all different stages of their life, smiles, animals and happy memories cascading all the way down to the kitchen.
The kitchen was huge, a lot bigger than his mothers, with cream walls decorated with navy blue trimmings. Their house always looked like something out of country life magazine.

Sandra scurried around the kitchen, gently placing four mugs on the table before filling up the kettle with the sweet rainwater from the tap.

"I haven't made you a cake my love, but I'll whip one up this afternoon and we'll celebrate," she smiled at her daughter, "we're so glad you're here."

Her words were gentle and true, and exactly what Kate needed to hear.

"Thanks Mum," she said gratefully, "it's feels really nice to be home."

John appeared in the door way with a small present in his huge hands. Kate's face lit up as her father sat beside her, placing the box in front of her.
"Happy Birthday sweetheart," he pressed a kiss on her temple.

John knew that the relationship he had with his daughters was fractured. Kate's in particular. He treated her like the son he'd never had, and never went easy on her dreams, and selfishly made her feel extremely guilty for leaving. It was his own fault, he was hard, and angry but he was determined to redeem himself, before it was too late.

"Thank you Dad," she said, "sit down Mum, Hughie you too!"

Hugh took a chair as Kate started to unwrap the box. She opened it the newly revealed jewellery box slowly, her eyes widening and her jaw dropping as a pair of earrings and a necklace, made with shimming white opal appeared in her hands. The pinks and blues danced in the stone, flickering with the light, mesmerising Kate.

"Gosh, Mum, Dad these are beautiful!" She exclaimed, tears brimming in her eyes. "Thank you."

John pulled her into his side, hugging her gently. "It's our pleasure darlin'."

"I saw them in the little shop in town and had to get them for you. The lady said the stone comes from Coober Pedy, which is pretty amazing. We really hope you like them!" Sandra smiled, excited to share the gift with her daughter.

"Mum I love them," Kate said softly, drawing her mother into an embrace. "I've missed you both so much."

"We've missed you too." John replied.

Hugh watched on, sipping his cup of warm tea, smiling at the scene unfolding before him. He and Ben had sat at this table many a time, never had they seen a grin quite that big on Mr Cook's face.

But something had shifted. Something wasn't right and he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

-

The sun was setting softly, it's gentle winter rays caressing the dry ground and Hugh's cheeks. The valley was looking peaceful, maybe there was rain on the horizon?

He'd watched the interactions between Kate and her parents for majority of the day and he was pleased he'd convinced Kate to come home.

"Darling Kate," her mother paused, "your father and I have something to tell you."

Hugh's head shot up, Mrs Cook looked solemn, sad almost.
No, don't ruin it now, Hugh thought.

"Mum? What's going on?"

"Your Dad, he's been struggling recently. Hugh probably mentioned he and Ben have been working here a fair bit." Sandra explained.

Kate's face was worried, she could hardly have prepared herself for what was to come.

"I'm sick love," her Dad said sadly, "cancer in my lungs."

The world stilled.
No birds were singing.
No wind blowing.

A pang hit Kate's chest, like someone had thrown a brick and she hadn't caught it. Her nose crinkled and her eyes welled, but she fought the tears away.

"Umm... what?" She blinked, she felt Hugh's presence move closer to her.

Her father nodded, "we only just found out. We have to go down to Adelaide for chemo soon."

"Okay," Kate breathed, "right, well... bit of a road ahead then."

Her father stepped forward and they took each other in their arms.
"I'm sorry Katie," John mumbled, suddenly as small as a mouse.

"I am too Dad," she whispered into his chest. "Me too."

Sandra joined there embrace and Hugh watched on quietly, bending down and scratching Billy behind the ear. His own heart hurt, it ached. The immense grief that the Cook family were already experiencing was enough to secrete into his own blood stream and leave a sad haze hanging over his head.

"You two don't have anywhere to be tonight do you?" Sandra asked, wiping the tears away from her cheeks.

"No Mama," Kate sniffled.

"How about dinner?"

"We're not going anywhere." Hugh said, taking Kate's hand before they all shifted back into the house