Chapter Seven: The Kelpie Dog

The church was peaceful on that dreary Sunday morning, the rain echoed upon the roof, it was so loud the five of them could barely hear the choir singing.
Hugh and Dylan were trying desperately to contain their annoyance, their legs were fidgety and their breathes were heavy. Patrick was also uncomfortable, excusing himself after communion, taking an umbrella from the foyer and lighting a cigarette outside. He came in after a few minutes, the chill factor was enough to make even the most established smoker quit. 

"Can bucket down here for days on end but not at home?" Dylan finally whispered in Hugh's ear.

"Shut up Dylan," He sighed in response.

"Just saying, what's God's grand plan here?"

"I don't know, just sing will you?" Hugh snapped.

"Hugh?" Kate whispered, she put out her hand, discreetly.

He took it willingly, and held it tight as the song ended and the pastor dismissed the congregation.

Patrick stood up and leant over the group, "Let's get out of here, I'm annoyed, its a long drive back and I need a feed asap."

Hugh couldn't argue with that, he used to love the sound of rain, but right now it was making him angrier than he'd felt in a long time.

"Yep, right behind ya." He said, letting go of Kate's hand and making his way out of the pew. The three boys made a quick dash for the door.

Kate looked at Lara in confusion, "don't ask me, because I don't know," she said.

- 🌻 -

"So you're really doing this," Pat questions the two unsettled girls in the Ute, "I can't believe it."

Lara picks at her finger nail; "We had to head home at some point. Why not now, right Kate?"

"Right." Kate nods, her false confidence screaming through the car.
Hugh glances over at her, a concerned look in his eyes.

"It'll be fine. It isn't that bad back home." Kate says, staring out the window.

Olive Creek had barely changed.
Yes the crops weren't as green as they should be in June, but the road was still full of pot holes, the trees were still tall and she was in a Ute, full of friends just like old times.

Kate remembered being in Utes like this, all squished in, hip to hip, on the way to and from parties, or the football or even school.
Whether it was her siblings or friends, there was always a full car.

Adelaide wasn't like that.
Adelaide was lonely, it was an empty bus seat beside you, or an empty drive to uni with the radio as your only friend.

Kate's hands were trembling as they pulled into the gate of her parents farm.
The mailbox her and her sisters had decorated with their handprints was still guarding the driveway, and had done for as long as she could remember.

There were still 8 gum trees on the left, and 9 apple trees on the right, and the barbed wire fence still ran proud and strong down either side of the dirt track.

A live version of "July" by Mundy serenaded them through a crackled radio, as Kate and Hugh trundled slowly through the pot holes, and sheep grids.

"This is a great song," Hugh broke to silence, startling Kate with his sudden, and almost upbeat comment.

How could he not hear how fast her heart was beating?
How could he not see how her brain was swimming with possibilities?

How could he -

"I'm not a kind reader Kate." Hugh's face was concerned, had she said that out loud?

All of a sudden the huge farm house, with a bull nose veranda, a slate path, a hills hoist clothes line, and roses that climbed up the veranda posts stood as proudly as ever in front of her eyes.

"Kate?" He questions again, "and if it makes you feel any better, I can't hear your heart. You're looking very calm."

"I'm sorry," she sighed heavily, popping a lolly snake into her mouth, "no one seems to be home."

She hops out of Hugh's Ute, and makes her way up onto the veranda. The pitter patter of dogs paws bound upon the slate.

The kelpie dog rounds the corner and stops in his tracks. His black  ears prick up and he tilts his head to the side. The tan on his face is prominent and his little wet nose glistens in the sunlight.

"Billy?" Kate's face lit up.

The dog raced into her arms, licking her face and yapping with happiness.

Hugh leant against the bull bar of his Ute, his arms folded in front, and the shadow of his cap shielding his eyes. Kate turned back and smiled as Billy snuggled closer into her body, almost knocking her from her crouch.

Hugh smiled back, "think someone may have missed you," he said.

"I think so too!" Kate giggled as she lowered herself onto the slate.

Kate felt a relief lift off her shoulders, her heart singing with happiness at the fact she was sitting with her dog.
12 year old her would never have dreamed to leave home, leave Olive Creek, leave her family, leave the cattle, the sheep, the chooks and her dogs.

Billy had been a gift on her 16th birthday. She'd woken up to a tiny little kelpie puppy curled up in her Akubra hat at the end of  her bed.

She remembered the cold winters nights where Billy would curl up beside her, warming her soul as well as her body.
How he'd race her down the driveway on her way to the school bus, and how he'd be waiting for her when she got home.

Hugh came and sat down beside her, scratching the dog behind the ear. Kate stared out over the front paddocks, she could hear cattle lowing in the distance and the call of winter lambs echoing through the hills.

The crisp June air filled her lungs, the galahs scratched at the front lawn and for a moment it was like she'd never left.

"Did you get anything out of church this morning? That pastor was quite good I thought." Hugh said, almost absentmindedly, but with an ounce of inquiry in his tone.

Kate had got something out of church this morning.
She felt calm, the church was deeply peaceful, and the morning sun streaming through the stained glass was enough to make her come back next week.

The pastor's words hadn't quite resonated as deeply as maybe Hugh would be expecting. He was talking about the message of the gospel and the peace and comfort we have in Jesus, but Kate had found her mind wondering, and her body still getting used to the environment. Hopefully next Sunday she'd be able to concentrate a little harder.

Next Sunday?
Woah, there wasn't even "church tomorrow" two days ago now theres next Sunday loitering in her mind.

"A little," she murmured, "maybe next week."

Hugh smiled a little, not turning taking his eyes away from Billy.

"I'm proud of you for doing this Kate," he said.

"It hasn't even been done yet Hugh." She replied.