Thirty Nine. pretty like the stars

Start from the beginning

"Like, twenty million times." Kiara responded dramatically.

"That's quite a few times." JJ chuckled to himself.

"Some random lady at a hotel keeps responding."

"Do you think he stole it?" Dylan questioned and looked over her shoulder at them. "Sounds like a JB thing to do."

Pope nodded. "I wouldn't doubt it. Until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name." He held up the letter in his hand. "Right now, this letters our best bet."

"Right. Stay on task." JJ said with a hum. "That's why I love ya, Pope."

Kiara stood up and held out the joint. "What Pope are you gonna be today?" She teased. 

He looked at the lit joint briefly but shook his head.  "I'm good. I'm gonna try to focus." He declined.

"Good Pope. Boring Pope." She muttered and sat down next to JJ, the two of them sharing the joint. 

Pope's shoulders slumped at her words. He turned his head to the side and saw Dylan still leaning against to the side of the ferry. The wind was blowing through her curls and even when he couldn't see her face, it was the most beautiful sight to him. He walked around the truck and walked up to her, wrapping his arms around her from behind. She physically relaxed under his touch. "You're really starting to worry me," he spoke with a slight smile. "You've barely said a word since we left."

Dylan sighed in defeat. "I know, I'm sorry. You know how I am when I get in my own head." Her hands touched his arm that was around her and his hand.

He nodded at the words. "Fortunately, I do." It got quiet until he felt pressure on his fingers and he looked over her shoulder to see hers wrapped around his. "Hey, what are you really worried about?" He asked softly.

The brown eyed girl tore her eyes away from the water and looked at him. "Why did they ask for you specifically? Just you. If this Limbrey person is related to who we think, that means—" she quickly stopped and her face went still. She could tell by the look in his eyes that he understood where she was going. "I'm just saying that I'm scared they want something from you and we're leading you to a trap."

"Dyl, nothing is going to happen," he continued to try and ease her mind. "I'm sure someone from Kildare tipped them off about what happened. But as long as we stick together, we're all going to be fine, okay? This is about getting John B and Sarah back. I'll do whatever it makes to make sure it happens."

She stared at him with admiration. His loyalty and dedication is what separated him from so many people. It didn't matter the situation, Pope would always put his own life at risk if it meant his friends were safe. Dylan grew a soft smile. "Well, if this whole thing goes South, I'll be right by your side. I'll beat the shit out of anyone who tries anything." She declared truthfully. 

Pope smiled with his teeth and chuckled. "I know you will. Thank you." He said adoringly. 

She leaned her forehead against his and their noses touched. "And just so you know, there is no good Pope or boring Pope. There's just Pope and I love you." She asserted and squeezed his hand so he would know how honest she was being.

There was absolutely no doubt in his mind. "I love you more." He responded and kissed the side of her head right where her birthmark was. 

They stood there and and stared at the water together.

Charleston was beautiful. There was no other way to put it. Though she was anxious, Dylan couldn't stop staring at the scenery she passed by as they drove down the street, the moss from the trees hanging above them. "Guys, I've read this thing like a thousand times. It makes no sense." Kiara told them as she repeatedly read the letter. "I mean, the Limbreys own, like, half of Charleston. What do the Kook kings of Charleston know about a murder on Kildare Island?"