Thirty Nine. pretty like the stars

Thirty Nine.   pretty like the stars

      Dylan's arms were rested on the edge of the ferry

Dylan's arms were rested on the edge of the ferry. Her amber eyes settled on the rippling water. Her stomach wouldn't settle and the smell of salt and fish wasn't making it better. She couldn't understand why she was so nervous about going to Charleston. It was a feeling she couldn't shake. 

The rest of the Pogues were gathered around the truck. "My parents are so paranoid of me being a Pogue, like it's the worst thing that could ever happen," Kiara complained from where she was sitting on the edge of the truck bed. 

"Hey, I hear they got good weed at boarding school,  though," JJ tried to lighten the mood.

"I'm not going to boarding school." She scoffed and shrugged. "They're gonna have to kidnap me, tie me up, and throw me in a van."

"I read this story once about a girl who's parents hired these people to kidnap her in the middle of the night and they flew her to a wildness camp in Utah," Dylan spoke out loud after hearing the conversation. She still continued to look at the water. "She was there for three months and then transferred to a boarding school." When she was done and nobody responded,  she turned around and saw them staring at her with bewilderment. "Oh, sorry. Not making this better, am I?"

Kiara shook her head. "Not really, no." She turned her body slightly to the side so she could face her. "How come your parents are so cool with you being a pogue?"

She titled her head side to side. "Well, my dad was. Pogue before he married my mom. He knows what it's like. And John B and I have been friends since we were born, so, that was pretty inevitable. JJ came along and we knew there was no chance he was ever going to leave—" He sent her a wink. She threw her boyfriend a sweet smile. "And we all knew I wasn't ever going to get rid of that one."

His face went red uncontrollably and he smiled back,  his eyes shifting away from them out of shyness.

She looked back at Kiara and squinted her eyes from the sun. "My mom loved them straight away but my dad had to take some time to warm up to them. He really just loves how happy you all make me. Your parents will think the same. I promise." She assured her best friend.

"Doubtful," Kiara muttered in disappointment.  "You're really the only one they like and that's just because of your parents."

Dylan wasn't sure if she should find that offense or not. JJ hopped down from the top of truck roof.  "Well, I say. . ." He started to say and took a drag of the joint he had rolled. "We just crumble some herb right now." He handed it out to her and the girl took it instantly. 

Dylan rolled her eyes briefly and turned back around to face the ocean. She leaned against her arms.

"Hey, Kie, have you tried to hit John B back on that number yet?" Pope asked the girl.