Forty. you're my best friend, i'll love you forever

Forty.   you're my best friend, i'll love you forever

   you're my best friend, i'll love you forever

"They're fancy people. They've had three governors in the family. They've run Charleston for, like, 300 years." Kiara told them.

Dylan stared at the houses they passed by with a dropped jaw. She knew that a lot of people who lived on Charleston came from old and inherited money, but she'd never seen houses as big as these ones. And Figure Eight had a lot of mansions.

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ said in utter disbelief.

"Jesus, and I thought Sarah was rich." Said Dylan, her tone of voice the same.

"You sure this is the place, Pope?"

"Pretty sure." Pope answered even though he had no idea himself. 

"Well, I'm sure we'll know if it's not. Let's go." Dylan insisted and they got out of the truck.

"Fat City, for sure."

She grabbed Pope's hand and he held up the letter in front of the gated home. "Twenty-seven King Street," he confirmed. 

"Talk about home security." JJ said sarcastically.

"Seems like a nice house to keep dead bodies in," Dylan said out loud, resulting in strange looks from the others.

"Are those spikes to keep people out?" 

She looked up at the spikes made into the metal gate and she felt her stomach drop. "No." Her and Kiara said at the same time.

Pope motioned with his free hand. "The slave quarters are over there. These spikes were to keep people in."

She started to feel sick and she squeezed his hand tightly. Together, the group made their way past the fence and up the walkway to the front door of the home. Pope knocked on the wood with the metal lion door handle. "You think that was too much?" He asked them.

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure." JJ confirmed. "So they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home." Kiara suggested.

"Or they're preparing the chambers for his body," Dylan mumbled.

Pope pretended not to hear her and he knocked on the door again. A man came out and his eyes scanned the group of teenagers. He licked his lips in satisfaction and pointed to the boy of the hour. "You must be Pope."

Dylan stared at him with an off putting expression.

"Um. . ." Pope hesitated and glanced at JJ for a brief second. "Are you Mr. Limbrey?" He asked the stranger.

"Ms. Limbrey was expecting you yesterday," he corrected.

"Oh. I'm. . . I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here."